Question PC crashes when gaming

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
Hi all.

So I have been having an issue lately where my PC will black screen and restart itself, but only when gaming. At first I thought my GPU was overheating so I increased the fan to 100%, and it never reaches higher than 63c when gaming. However I am still having the same issue, it usually happens anytime about 30+ minutes into the game. I tried a clean driver install using DDU to remove old driver and that did not fix the problem.

I am running ryzen 9 5900x with custom watercooling loop which never reaches over 58c when gaming, and my GPU is an old EVGA 980 ti, so I'm wondering if it has just started to come to the end of its life. I'm putting off buying a new one as long as I can because GPU prices are still stupidly high.

So my question really is am I right in suspecting this is the GPU causing this? Or could it be something else?

Oct 28, 2021
Hi, i got the same issue.. need some helps too.. i'll try explain all i know.. it's not crashing, but the pc is just restarting itself.. i also check the gpu temp, and nothing is out of ordinary.. my gpu is RTX 2070 and max gpu core temp is the same which is only 63°C.. this problem come rather recently.. after previous update driver i guess..

Now when i check hwinfo, i realize the gpu hotspot temp are higher than the gpu core.. and last time i monitor it, slightly after it reach 80°C, the restarting happens.. the temp limit setting for gpu is 81°C in geforce experience performance setting.. so i guess the auto restart happens because the hotspot temp reach the temp limit setting.. i also check by opening my case side panel, and put a 50W desk fan there, i can run games just fine.. while without it, the pc restarted just minutes into the game battles..

So i guess the new driver made temp limit setting also applied on hotspot temp and not just gpu core? is there a way to differentiate the threshold? because perhaps the hotspot should be set higher?

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
Hi, i got the same issue.. need some helps too.. i'll try explain all i know.. it's not crashing, but the pc is just restarting itself.. i also check the gpu temp, and nothing is out of ordinary.. my gpu is RTX 2070 and max gpu core temp is the same which is only 63°C.. this problem come rather recently.. after previous update driver i guess..

Now when i check hwinfo, i realize the gpu hotspot temp are higher than the gpu core.. and last time i monitor it, slightly after it reach 80°C, the restarting happens.. the temp limit setting for gpu is 81°C in geforce experience performance setting.. so i guess the auto restart happens because the hotspot temp reach the temp limit setting.. i also check by opening my case side panel, and put a 50W desk fan there, i can run games just fine.. while without it, the pc restarted just minutes into the game battles..

So i guess the new driver made temp limit setting also applied on hotspot temp and not just gpu core? is there a way to differentiate the threshold? because perhaps the hotspot should be set higher?
Hmm that is interesting as I didn't think to check what temperature the hotspot was reaching, I'm not using geforce experience though. I wonder if there is a way to increase temp limits cause it sounds to me like the temp limit effects the hot spot aswell like you said.

Oct 28, 2021
Hmm that is interesting as I didn't think to check what temperature the hotspot was reaching, I'm not using geforce experience though. I wonder if there is a way to increase temp limits cause it sounds to me like the temp limit effects the hot spot aswell like you said.
in geforce experience setting or in msi afterburner, the highest it can set is only 88°C.. so not much.. and i wonder changing the setting in there works, because seems i still got restarted early when the hotspot resch 80s..

Oct 28, 2021
update.. okay i seems wrong.. after using some temporary measures, putting desk fan on opened side panel case.. after some hours, the pc still restarted.. even if the gpu hotspot still in low 70s..

so i check my psu.. put it outside the case but connected all cables again.. turn the pc on.. and i guess i found what's wrong.. it's the psu that's overheat.. it's fan dead and not spinning.. daammn.. my case is cougar panzermax, so the psu compartment is covered by plastic barrier.. so the deskfan airflow won't reach the psu.. that's why i still got restarted..

so i guess try to check your psu too whether it's overheat.. it would smell something burnt if it's overheat..