Question PC crashes when high powerdraw? Already upgraded PSU but still crashes

Mar 25, 2023
Hey guys. I built my own PC a few months back. I started with a 700W single-rail PSU and it worked fine until I encountered my first crash during an explosion scene in RDR2. I then upgraded to an 850W multi-rail PSU (Enermax Revolution D.F., A-tier gold on PSU cultist list). However, I still experience crashes after the upgrade, even during an explosion in BF4 (old game). Any solutions as to what I can do to fix this issue?
Thanks for any help!

Here are the specs:
CPU: 5600, Liquid cooled by 240mm AIO
Ram: 4 x 8GB 3600 Corsair RBG Pro SL
GPU: 6900XT Asus TUF
6 fans in total including AIO fans
Storage: 2 x 1 TB M.2 NVME SSD

BTW: PSU calculators online say minimum power needed is around 600W

Hello UMRTH. When you say "crash", what precisely did you observe? Did the system power completely cease? Did Windows reboot? Did Windows Blue Screen?

What is the motherboard model, and which BIOS version is installed? What is the prevision model of the 240mm AIO? Also, what is the manufacturer and model of your previous power supply?

On a new build, I would recommend updating the BIOS to the latest non-beta version; please carefully read the instructions on the motherboard website. Then I would navigate to the AMD website, download and install the latest chipset drivers for your board.

Mar 25, 2023
Hey! Thanks for your help!!!
When the system crashed, the PC automatically turned off while rgb ram sticks and rgb fans stayed lit. Fans stopped spinning tho. No responses to mouse & keyboard.

Mobo: Aorus B550 Elite V2 with WiFi
BIOS is on F15d (not newest)
AIO: Cooler Master ML240L V2 RGB
Previous PSU: Antec Neo ECO GOLD ZEN 700W (B-tier gold)

Thank you for your help again. I’ll try to update the BIOS and the chipset tomorrow. One more question: I saw on PSU Cultist List that multi-rail PSU may trip when paired with high power draw GPUs (6900XT is one of them) and balancing the load could help. Should I give this a try too?

https://www.enermaxeu.com/wp-conten...D.F/Downloads/datasheet-en-revolution-d-f.pdf

The bottom of page 4 diagrams which PCIe ports are assigned to which rails. And the table on page 5 shows the amperage of each of those respective ports. Based on those, my guess is that 12V4 and 12V3 would be the ideal choices for your troubleshooting scenario.

Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 with WiFi: Are you certain about the model? I wasn't aware that this specific motherboard had a Wi-Fi variant. Perhaps you have the 550 Aorus Elite AX V2 ? I apologize if I'm mistaken.

Regardless, after the BIOS and chipset updates, you may want to wipe the GPU drivers with DDU and download & install a fresh copy of the display drivers.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3887

Also, by any chance, did you happen to move your primary Windows drive (SSD) from a previous Intel build, without reinstalling Windows?

Mar 25, 2023
https://www.enermaxeu.com/wp-conten...D.F/Downloads/datasheet-en-revolution-d-f.pdf

The bottom of page 4 diagrams which PCIe ports are assigned to which rails. And the table on page 5 shows the amperage of each of those respective ports. Based on those, my guess is that 12V4 and 12V3 would be the ideal choices for your troubleshooting scenario.

Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 with WiFi: Are you certain about the model? I wasn't aware that this specific motherboard had a Wi-Fi variant. Perhaps you have the 550 Aorus Elite AX V2 ? I apologize if I'm mistaken.

Regardless, after the BIOS and chipset updates, you may want to wipe the GPU drivers with DDU and download & install a fresh copy of the display drivers.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3887

Also, by any chance, did you happen to move your primary Windows drive (SSD) from a previous Intel build, without reinstalling Windows?
Sorry the MoBo is the AX V2. I forgot the AX
The OS was fresh installed. Everything was brand new.

Vengeance RGB Pro SL, DDR4, 3600MHZ
Kit of 4. 4 sticks of 8GB ram
What's the part number of the RAM? It starts with CMH.

The version number you can read on the sticks

e42corsair_modelsticker.jpg.54d6157e4368d400e741be10eedc7357.jpg