Question PC Crashes when launching games (Black screen, fans speed up)

Jun 25, 2023
Hey guys,

I've been working on an issue with my PC right now and just can't seem to crack what the problem is myself. Apologies if "systems" is the wrong forum to post this on,

The issue I'm running into is that when I attempt to use my computer for a game or other similarly intense program, it crashes with a black screen and the fans speed up to max, with the audio usually continuing for around 30sec after the fact. This doesn't happen when I'm doing something easy like using chrome or watching a movie. What's strange is that it happens at different points for different games - for some it may be before reaching the menu, and others as late as 5-10 minutes after opening. The other strange thing is that this is actually the third time I've had this issue - with both previous times, it started happening and then just stopped a few days to a week later on its own.

Here's my PC specs (I can provide more info if I missed anything), and I'm running Windows 10:
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
  • Ram: 16gb
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
  • Motherboard: PRIME Z270-A
And then finally this is what I've tried so far based on other people's similar issues, but obviously I'll repeat anything if it helps:
  • Cleaned out case and GPU fans
  • Re-seated memory + GPU
  • Put in new thermal paste
  • Ran sfc, chkdsk, and dism
  • Ran HDInfo to monitor thermals but I wasn't hitting the thermal limit
  • Both updating and rolling-back my graphics drivers
  • I've also run whocrashed and it seems to think the error is video-related, but the recent crashes have not been generating crash dumps for whocrashed to analyze
Below is the most recent crash dump I have analyzed by WhoCrashed, if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance! :)
~~~~~

On Sun 6/25/2023 8:18:01 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP (Kernel memory dump)

Bugcheck code: 0x10E(0x37, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Bugcheck name: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL

Driver or module in which error occurred: dxgmms2.sys (dxgmms2+0xB044D)

File path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys

Description: DirectX Graphics MMS

Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company: Microsoft Corporation

Bug check description: This indicates that the video memory manager has encountered a condition that it is unable to recover from.

Analysis: This is a video related crash. A DirectX driver was identified on the stack. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, it is suggested that you look for an updated driver for your graphics hardware. It's also possible that your graphics hardware was non-functional or overheated.

On Sun 6/25/2023 8:18:01 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062523-6281-01.dmp (Minidump)

Bugcheck code: 0x10E(0x37, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Bugcheck name: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL

Driver or module in which error occurred: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x3AD0)

File path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\watchdog.sys

Description: Watchdog Driver

Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company: Microsoft Corporation

Bug check description: This indicates that the video memory manager has encountered a condition that it is unable to recover from.

Analysis: This is a video related crash.

~~~~~

Last edited: