[SOLVED] PC Crashes when playing demanding games

jaink

Commendable
Nov 26, 2018
Hey,

My computer has recently been crashing, only displaying one frame but giving me repeat audio loops of spotify however I can still perfectly hear my friends on discord, however they cant hear me, I then have to do a full power off. I can still hear and see streams on my other monitor however they go very pixelated and down to 15FPS. These crashes are random, I can play a game for 8 hours with no crash, or I can play them for 20 mins and I will crash.

This has only happened playing a few demanding games for my current setup such as "Sea of thieves" and the new "Apex legends" I believe this will happen with any games that I could get under 60FPS on, however I played GTA 5 when I first got my PC and all was ok so im assuming its a hardware thing.

The problem most likely isnt temperatures as I have ran GPU and CPU benchmarks and both are just higher then average for my CPU, however this could still be the problem as I have very bad air flow to my PC.

Event viewer gives me no events that may have crashed my PC I only see normal events.

My thoughts are my HDD as its a very old model and doesnt seem to be too good, its slow at loading most things.

I believe all my drivers are up to date when checking, but I could be wrong. I also believe to have no viruses, but I could be wrong.

This just randomly started happening and I am wanting to do a full restore of my PC to try to clear junk of my HDD as its running very slow.

When I was looking around for this problem I found this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3643121/crashes-playing-demanding-games.html and the person asking also had the same HDD as me, is this just a coincidence?

Specs are as listed:
GPU: GTX 1050 2GB (Upgrading) (Overclocked +91 on msi afterburner)
CPU: I7-4790 3.6ghz (Few years old) (Not OC)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 (NEW)
RAM: Samsung M378B1G73QH0-CK0 2x8GB (Was OC just now turned it off hoping that fixes it)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 (Few years old)
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 (Few years old, wiped twice)