Question PC crashes when put to sleep

May 24, 2022
Hey all, I've been having this ongoing issue with my PCs lately where they would crash whenever they were put in sleep mode.

This was happening with my old PC but for some reason it is still happening with my brand new PC of a couple months and I really want to get this resolved

I always try to keep my Drivers and software up to date always so I doubt that is the issue.

My PC is a Alienware Aurora R10

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
1TB NVMe SSD
2x8gb DDR4 RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 5900

and peripherals if they matter:
Corsair K70 RGB keyboard
Logitech G502 wired mouse
HP 22cwa 21.5'' 1920x1080 60hz monitor
gigabyte G27QC 27'' 2560x1440 165hz monitor
Razer Nari Ultimate wireless headset
With a couple of USB hubs and a USB Switch to my KB/M and headset due to my dual PC setup for work/personal use

I know Windows 11 has had a lot of issues with this sort of thing but my old PC before i got this was was a windows 10 rig so I doubt that is it either.

Any assistance would be really appreciated, Turning of sleep mode is not something I'd prefer to do as I want to be able to wake my PC up remotely for remote access to do Steam Remote play, or access my Emby server remotely as well

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even informational event just prior to or at the time of the crashes.

Start with Reliability History: much easier to work with and the time line format can reveal any patterns.

For example you probably know when you attempted the remote wake ups. Date/time etc.. Look accordingly.

There may be some buggy or corrupted app involved. Especially so with the problem occurring on both the old and the new computer.

What, how, is sleep mode being turned on? Some utility or third party app?

And do turn off sleep mode for testing purposes. Work, play, etc. for a couple of days and determine if the system no longer crashes.

May 24, 2022

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even informational event just prior to or at the time of the crashes.

Start with Reliability History: much easier to work with and the time line format can reveal any patterns.

For example you probably know when you attempted the remote wake ups. Date/time etc.. Look accordingly.

There may be some buggy or corrupted app involved. Especially so with the problem occurring on both the old and the new computer.

And do turn off sleep mode for testing purposes. Work, play, etc. for a couple of days and determine if the system no longer crashes.

Thanks for the quick response. I will check out the reliability history and event viewer.

to clarify I am not trying to remote wake up. I just want to keep sleep mode disabled in case I want to do that in the future. Currently the issue is when I am putting it to sleep in the first place. I put it to sleep through the windows menu it goes to sleep and is fine for a couple moments then it will reboot in recovery mode.

further to clarify issue is only happening with my personal PC. My work PC is working fine. It is a dual PC setup that I share the peripherals for (hence the usb switcher, I just manually swap out the HDMI/DP cables every day)

May 24, 2022

just got off work so finally able to do some of that. Looks like event viewer logged a Critical Error 41 - Kernel Power

EDIT: and I'm not seeing anything about Wake on LAN in my settings

Ralston18

Titan
What/how do you put your personal computer to sleep? Same question for the work computer.....

Take another look at your Windows configuration:

Specifically: "WIN" + "I" > System > "Power & Sleep"

= = = =

Then, if nothing found, put both your personal and your work computers to sleep.

When your personal computer wakes up then wake up your work computer.

Look at Reliability History in both computers and compare the results/differences accordingly.

Being different computers (make, model, specs, configurations, software, etc.) the two computers are not directly comparable to some extent.

However, if you can find any difference(s) at all with respect to being "woken up" then that difference could prove helpful.

And, since you mentioned Event Viewer, you can use the same process in the same manner.

May 24, 2022
What/how do you put your personal computer to sleep? Same question for the work computer.....

Take another look at your Windows configuration:

Specifically: "WIN" + "I" > System > "Power & Sleep"

= = = =

Then, if nothing found, put both your personal and your work computers to sleep.

When your personal computer wakes up then wake up your work computer.

Look at Reliability History in both computers and compare the results/differences accordingly.

Being different computers (make, model, specs, configurations, software, etc.) the two computers are not directly comparable to some extent.

However, if you can find any difference(s) at all with respect to being "woken up" then that difference could prove helpful.

And, since you mentioned Event Viewer, you can use the same process in the same manner.

I just put them to sleep the standard way, open windows menu, click on power icon. Click on sleep

Nothing of any note in power and sleep settings Windows 11 has that as very barebones. just the standard "turn screen off/put to sleep after X"

And again the problem isn't with it being woken up. the problem is that it won't sleep at all. when I put it to sleep it works for about 2-5 minutes then it will crash and reboot into recovery mode.

Ralston18

Titan
With no specific cause being apparent and no immediate errors showing up in Reliabiliity History and Event Viewer then take a more general approach.

Could simply be a buggy or corrupted file of some sort.

Try the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

If the problem remains then the next step is to take a deeper looking into what all is running in the background.

Here is a another tool (Microsoft, free) that can help with that.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Maybe compare personal PC and work PC. There will likely be many differences but that can be narrowed down.

And, after reading back I thought about the HDMI/DP cable switches etc..

Take a look in Device Manager:

Microsoft link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-devices/f10ac067-0131-4f56-8f53-62cd3576d3c5

May 24, 2022
With no specific cause being apparent and no immediate errors showing up in Reliabiliity History and Event Viewer then take a more general approach.

Could simply be a buggy or corrupted file of some sort.

Try the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

If the problem remains then the next step is to take a deeper looking into what all is running in the background.

Here is a another tool (Microsoft, free) that can help with that.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Maybe compare personal PC and work PC. There will likely be many differences but that can be narrowed down.

And, after reading back I thought about the HDMI/DP cable switches etc..

Take a look in Device Manager:

Microsoft link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-devices/f10ac067-0131-4f56-8f53-62cd3576d3c5

Thanks! the sfc /scannow did seem to do the trick! I did it right before getting ready for bed so I didn't quite see what the command prompt said but after it was done it went to sleep and seemed to be fine in sleep mode all night

I will need to give it a couple more days and a couple more rounds of putting it to sleep to verify if that was a longterm or short-term fix, but it did seem to fix it at least momentarily

TRENDING THREADS