Question Pc crashes when starting any game

Nov 7, 2020
Hi everyone!

I bought a new prebuilt pc in february 2020 and everything was fine untill i one day tried to start playing after work like i always do. I only use the pc for gaming and watching netflix.

the specs are:
Cpu i5-9400
Ram: 16gb
Gpu: 2060gtx super
Hdd: 512gb ssd
Psu: 500w

Now to the problem, the monitor switches of and the no signal logo appears on screen and when this happends , 80% of the time the gpu fan goes from quiet to like 100%. The ingame sound stops and the only way to interact with the computer is to hold the powerbutton for 5sec so it can reboot.

This happens when i play any game and the problem occurs at the exact situations everytime.

For instance it always crashes when i enter a game in battlefield 1, the menys and browsing servers etc works great up until the point of entering the server to play.

in 3dmark menys and loading goes great, but problem occurs as soon as the test starts.

in fifa21 the same thing here, menys and loading goes great but as soon as the loading is complete and one expects to see the pitch the problem occurs.

the pc works great in windows, temperatures are very low and watching streams in netflix works perfect.

i have tested to uppgrade to the latest gpu drivers and made sure directX was up to date, ive used backup of windows from were there used to be no issues but the problem is still there.

what can be the cause of this? I have no idea on what to do next 🙈 hopefully you pros and techveterans have some tips for me.

thx in advance
Fred

Nov 7, 2020
Take a picture of the label on the PSU and post it to imgur.com (or similar site) and then provide a link here. We'll try to figure out what you have.
Im sorry to have to ask another question to you answer, but is there anyother way to see the model? Im afraid if i open the chassi that i will void the warranty and stuff 😂🙈

Nov 7, 2020
Opening the case will not void a warranty. What is the make/model of this pre-built system?
Its a hp pavilon
Opening the case will not void a warranty. What is the make/model of this pre-built system?
its a Hp pavilon
The link is to the add of the computer

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The symptoms described are common for heat and/or power issues. When gaming, the GPU pulls more power from the PSU than when just web browsing, for example. The PSU is often the cause of such issues.

While, the HP PSU is likely specified to meet the engineered needs of the overall system. It is under-powered for the GPU being used.

Assuming from your previous comments, the system is under warranty. If so, have you contacted HP?

Is Windows fully updated? Same for your video drivers?

Nov 7, 2020
The symptoms described are common for heat and/or power issues. When gaming, the GPU pulls more power from the PSU than when just web browsing, for example. The PSU is often the cause of such issues.

While, the HP PSU is likely specified to meet the engineered needs of the overall system. It is under-powered for the GPU being used.

Assuming from your previous comments, the system is under warranty. If so, have you contacted HP?

Is Windows fully updated? Same for your video drivers?
Hi thx for the reply.
Windows is upto date and latest drivers for gpu .

i spoke to the store where i bought the pc and they said it sounds like its a problem with the graphic card itself, they told me to bring the pc to the store and that they would run some tests and try the things that i discribed to see it happen ”live”

i asked if it may be the the psu but they said with most certainty that it was not because if it was the whole pc would then shut down and not just the monitor losing the connection to the gpu. If it was a motherboard, ram or windows issue i would most likely had a bsod by now .

the temperatures of the cpu and the gpu are both below 35 celcius

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your store seems to not understand the basics of a failing PSU. If you searched this site, you would find 1000s of threads of similar behavior as a result of failing/under-powered PSUs.

Still, take to them. It very well could be the GPU (or memory for that matter).

Reactions: Venum79
Nov 7, 2020
Your store seems to not understand the basics of a failing PSU. If you searched this site, you would find 1000s of threads of similar behavior as a result of failing/under-powered PSUs.

Still, take to them. It very well could be the GPU (or memory for that matter).
I hear what your saying and i believe you, i will bring the pc to them and they can see for themselfs, i will update this thread with whatever they say

Nov 7, 2020
So i got my pc back from the store, and they said it was a faulty gpu and replaced it, everything runs great again.

hopefully if anyone has this same trouble, its worth looking up how the gpu is doin. Thx to all that contributed to trying and fix my problem!

Jan 27, 2021
haha thats insane, i bought the same computer from elgiganten too, and my computer restarts when i enter a game in csgo if i have no limit on my FPS,

if i limit my FPS to 120 my monitor will shut off/no signal
if i limit my FPS to 60 the game will work

Ill call my store tomorrow and see if they can fix it like they did yours venum79