[SOLVED] PC Crashes whenever game starts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlueFrog

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
Hello everyone, I've been having an issue with my PC lately. Whenever I start a game or FurMark, my PC will crash and restart. I consulted with some people on r/PCMasterRace and did some research on my own and I got it narrowed down to likely GPU or PSU error. So i picked a solution that would maybe fix both, I upgraded my gtx 760 graphics card to a gtx 1050 ti, however my PC is still crashing! I'm quite desperate now and still have no clue what the issue could be. Someone suggested CPU overheating, but my idle temp is ~25C and it's an instant crash on any game startup, no matter how intensive. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. My BIOS is updated and compatible with my CPU. I swapped memory slots and was able to play Apex Legends for about an hour, would RAM be causing this issue?

Full Specs:
Windows 10
Mobo: ASUSTeK M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM: 8gb
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: GTX 1050 ti (also old have gtx 760 to test)
PSU: Corsair 500W

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention PC works fine outside of any games.

Last edited:
Solution
It's not high end by any means but it should work. I know of an overclocked 6300 and GTX 960 (consumes more than the 1050ti) running on an older 500-watt EVGA. It will work with the 450 BT, but I would recommend one of these power supplies over the BT:
Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
This is a good quality PSU, semi-modular, and a newer model from a good brand.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na
SeaSonic - S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
This is an older model and not modular, but Seasonic is a good brand...
The RMX is a better power supply, but he said he is on a budget and that is double the price of the 2 I listed that also have decent quality and warranties.
My CX550m came with a 5-year warranty so I assume the new ones also come with this warranty as well.
The Seasonic S12II 500 also has quality Japanese capacitors and a 5-year warranty as well.

BlueFrog

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
I went ahead with the Corsair CX 450w, it was on sale for $50 with $20 rebate, so that'll do for me. I was pretty desperate anyways. I'll let everyone know if my PC starts to work with the PSU upgrade. I have high hopes!

BlueFrog

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
UPDATE: Very skeptical that it's a PSU error anymore... My PC crashed and would no longer be attending up, until I removed a stick of RAM, now I'm running 1 4 GB stick and everything seems perfectly fine. Been running OCCT PSU test for over 5 min without any issue. Termal pasted my CPU so temps remain below 70 during this test. So is RAM the issue after all?

BlueFrog

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
Run memtes x86 https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
This requires a usb drive but will check your ram for errors, if it will boot with the other stick of ram. If not, it is likely the culprit. Try moving the sticks around.
Verified a bad stick of RAM by running OCCT GPU:3D test with a single stick in, no issues, and then swapped sticks and tested again to an instant crash.

After countless hours and 280$ later, I can finally say I found the issue and it's (hopefully) fixed.

Any recommendations on RAM and weather to buy a single stick or a pair? [I'm looking into Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz, my MOBO says "It features dual-channel DDR3 1866 memory support" with AMD FX series CPU]

TRENDING THREADS