• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question PC crashes while gaming, but not all games

xaldeius

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
For a while now my laptop (MSI GT72VR 6RE) has been crashing when I play games. My laptop would freeze for a few seconds, then the screen would go white, yellow, black or some other colour and the sound would be stuttering. After a few more seconds, the laptop will restart itself.

The crashes are quite random, sometimes they happen often and sometimes rarely at all but they do happen eventually. Some games crash much more often than others.\

Games that crash my laptop quite often:
  • Tales from the Borderlands
  • Call of Duty Warzone
  • Sims 4 (Ultra settings)
Games that crash my laptop, but not as frequently:
  • Valorant
  • Total War: Warhammer 2
Games that have crashed only once:
  • League of Legends
  • Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Games that don't cause my laptop to crash at all:
  • World of Warcraft (Retail and Classic)
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Overwatch
  • Batman: The Enemy Within
  • Sims 4 (Medium/low settings)
These are all the games that I can come up with from the top of my head and that I've played a good amount where I can confidently say that they would either crash or not.
Sims 4 was an interesting case because when I bumped down the graphics preset from ultra to medium/low, the crashes seemed to have stopped. However, when I downgrade the graphics quality of other games they would still crash. I have tried running GPU benchmarks (Heaven Benchmark 4.0) and my laptop runs it fine without crashes.

My CPU and GPU's temperatures are healthy, both reaching about 70 degrees Celsius on heavy load.

I have checked Event Viewer, but I can't seem to find any error to help me troubleshoot the problem, the only error log I would find is a log stating that my PC had crashed.

I have run mdsched.exe to test my memory for problems, and Windows says it found no issues.

My GPU drivers are up to date, I have also tried to roll back the drivers from a time where my laptop did not crash to no avail.

I have reinstalled Windows to check if it's a software issue, but the problem still persists.

I have tried unplugging all my peripherals if it's a cable issue or some sort, but my laptop still crashes.

I've checked different forums for solutions and I've tried different suggestions, but nothing has worked so far, hence why I decided to post a thread myself.

All help would be appreciated!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS