Question PC Crashes with GPU Fan going 100%

Jan 9, 2023
Hi, whenever I play a game, my PC would randomly go black screen (I can still here the game I am playing) and the GPU's fans will go full throttle (100%) until I restart it, it happened almost a month ago and it still continues to this day. I already reinstalled the graphics drivers using DDU and installed the latest drivers, checked and updated my OS (Windows 10), cleaned out my entire PC (it wasn't that dusty), ran some benchmark while playing (noticed that the GPU or the CPU isn't that hot (50-65c) whenever I play. I currently have a somewhat big tower cooler for my CPU), carefully repasted my GPU, changed ports (from my AVR to directly on a extension cord)

As of now, I have added a temporary fix, which is to lower my power limit to 70% in MSI Afterburner and it has yet to crash (it crashed once on 80% when I trying to benchmark) so I may assume that the problem would be the GPU or the PSU

Also Note: I don't know if this could help, but I currently have a secondary monitor (kinda broken, as some wavy lines in it) and whenever it crashes, the resolution defaults to a weird resolution, I think it was 1280x980 or somewhat close, it can be fixed by unplugging and plugging the cord to it (it's pretty old, it uses a VGA cable and I attach it to my GPU using a VGA to DisplayPort)

System Specs:
CPU- Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU- Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC
RAM- HyperX Fury 16GB 3200Mhz 2x8 kit
Motherboard- MSI B450M Mortar Max
Storage- 1TB Kingson SATA SSD
PSU- Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 Non-Modular

Jan 9, 2023
Alright, after tons of testings and fixes, it seems that even at 70% Power Limit, the my screen will go black screen within a couple of seconds running Heaven Benchmark on "Ultra Settings", but when I try a different stress testing tool without any actual 3D Rendering happen (I used OCCT) it didn't black screen.

So it seems that its a GPU problem

TRENDING THREADS