PC crashes with HDD but not SSD when running multiple programs

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
So I bought a computer from somebody; it has 6 DVD drives. I specifically bought this because I have 1000 DVDs that need to be ripped so with this, I can rip 6 DVDs at the same time. I use DVD Decrypter; I installed in 6 times in 6 different locations. It works like a dream.

Problem is the SSD that it came with is only 120GB. It fills up really fast and then it takes an hour to copy them over to my external drive (that's with USB 3.0)

I put in a 1TB HDD as a second drive to use and booted up the computer. It works for a few minutes, but then the HDD disappears from the computer. Also, sometimes it is visible in the bios but sometimes it is not. I diagnosed my HDD and it is clean with no errors.

I decided to unplug the SSD and just use the 1TB HDD as my primary. I tried installing Windows 7 but it kept giving me problems. It would crash when I loaded up my third DVD (no matter which drive I used.)

I gave up and I installed Windows 10 Pro (same Windows that's on the SSD.) Now the computer starts up, no problem. I can start my 6 DVD Decrypter programs. But once I load the 6 DVDs and start ripping, it crashes.

When I plug the SSD back in, everything works smoothly and I can use all 6 drives. I'm wondering if there's a setting or driver somewhere that the SSD is already set for that I don't know about. According to my Device Manager, everything has working drivers - nothing has an !).

This is the build:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 620 33 °C
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
BIOSTAR Group A770E (CPU 1) 27 °C
Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1024x768@64Hz)
ATI Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (ATI)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA ) 34 °C
3GB USB2.0 Flash Disk USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Most recently when it crashes, I get a stop code: critical process died. This is what the startup repair diagnostics (srtTrail) states:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 0

Test Performed:
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 94 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk metadata test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x32
Time taken = 0 ms

I can give you additional speccy information if you need. Please let me know. I've been trying to figure this out for hours and it's getting very frustrating!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
What is your power supply?
If the psu is under powered or a cheap unit, that may be your problem.
I checked, and a typical dvd drive may use 15-27 watts when running.
25-30 for blu-ray.
http://www.buildcomputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html

At startup hard drives will have increased power draw over normal operation.
Perhaps sata dvd drives also.
Some motherboards will have bios options that let you stagger the startup of drives to reduce problems.
That could be why your hdd disappears.

As to not handling the output of 6 dvd drives, I think that is a bogus explanation.
Yes, the HDD performance will not be as good with 6 dvd's hammering it, but there is no reason for it to fail.

Error 0x32 is related to a HDD with bad sectors. It could be that the Seagate HDD arrived damaged.
Download and install SeaTools and test the hard drive.
That specific Seagate HDD model is prompt to early failures.

Just curious, how are you connecting 8 devices when there are only 6 SATA ports?

Download the seatools diagnostic app from Seagate.
You may need to reinitialize the drive to replace weak/defective sectors.

If no joy, give up and buy a different HDD. WD and hitachi seem to be more reliable.

And, 120gb for a C drive is too small.
Buy a Samsung evo of 240gb or larger.
Use their free ssd migration app tp move your C drive painlessly.

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks guys for your responses!

jojesa, I scanned the HDD with with SeaTools and it says my hard drive is fine. However, I have 3 other HDDs of the same model so I will scan those now to make sure those aren't defective!

It looks like the 6 DVD drives are connected to the sata ports of the MOBO. The SSD is connected to a pci that has two internal sata ports. There's also another pci card for usb 3.0 that's connected to the usb 3.0 from the front chassis. Then a strip of 7 usb 3.0 connected to the 3.0 MOBO port. It's an impressive build.

geofelt, I agree it's too small. I think I might just have to buy a bigger SSD but I was hoping not to have to haha I didn't know they had a migration tool; that will help a lot. Thanks!

Believe it or not, I got in touch with the guy who sold me the computer and told him about the trouble I was having. He said the problem is the HDD can't handle running 6 dvd drives all at the same time which is why it keeps crashing. The SSD can handle running all 6 drives at the same time.

Would you happen to know if this is true?

What is your power supply?
If the psu is under powered or a cheap unit, that may be your problem.
I checked, and a typical dvd drive may use 15-27 watts when running.
25-30 for blu-ray.
http://www.buildcomputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html

At startup hard drives will have increased power draw over normal operation.
Perhaps sata dvd drives also.
Some motherboards will have bios options that let you stagger the startup of drives to reduce problems.
That could be why your hdd disappears.

As to not handling the output of 6 dvd drives, I think that is a bogus explanation.
Yes, the HDD performance will not be as good with 6 dvd's hammering it, but there is no reason for it to fail.

Solution
I have to agree with geofelt.
A 16x DVD player will transfer data at 8-21 MB/s and a 5400RPM SATA HDD has an write speed of 80-90 MB/s (7200RPM up to 120 MB/s)
Also there is a percentage of each transfer used by the interface instead of carrying data between the hardware components.
Maybe is a power issue, since the SSD consumes only 0.075 Watts, and the HDD 7 Watts or more.

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
That is a big difference in power consumption between the 2 drives plus the faster speed of the SSD is always nice.

I will have to check the power supply. There are no visible stickers so I will have to actually remove it in order to see what power supply it is. That will be a chore in itself because there are so many ways tightened with cable ties (seller went a little overboard with that) but I will check it when I get a chance.

I have a spare 1000W power supply so if this is a weaker power supply, I can definitely put in my 1000W. Hopefully, that will solve the problem!