Question PC crashes with new GPU/PSU

Aug 13, 2019
So interesting problem here.

Bought a new GPU from a friend (MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X). Old PSU didnt have enough juice so i bought a new one with higher wattage (Corsair CX750M). Install went good, booted everything up just fine. Tried to play a game and bam, PC randomly shuts off. Turns on and 75% of the time my main monitor displays at a much lower resolution than its naitive and i cannot change it in NCP, only fix for that so far is turning monitor off for a bit and back on. I can run the 3Dmark firestrike benchmark just fine and get good scores. Here is a list of what has been done working with someone on the Nvidia forums so far..

DDU all old drivers and clean install different versions
Install new monitor drivers
Uninstalled any software that could cause graphics issues (ID'd with a speccy snapshot)
Reseated all components in PC ( with exception on CPU )
Ran a memory diagnostic test and got no problems
Set all BIOS settings back to deault ( had some changed for RAM to run at designed speed and some VMware settings for the CPU )
Turned off SMT in BIOS for the CPU ( this supposedly cause this issue with my Processor for other people )
Ensured BIOS is up to date and GPUs vBIOS, and updated chipset drivers

Hardest part about this is that when looking in event viewer or reliability monitor im not seeing any hardware or software errors related to the crashes, only error i can see is that the PC unexpectedly shut down (duh) so at this point i dont know where else to look or try next. All temps look good, never see anything above 72 on GPU on max load doing benchmarks. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Can provide HWinfo log files and Speccy snapshots on request.

SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MB: ASRock AB450 Pro4
GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
RAM: Corsair Vengance 2x 8Gb 3000MHz
HDD: 1TB Samsung EVO SSD
PSU: Corsair CX750M

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS