[SOLVED] PC Crashes without overheating, tried multiple things, ran out of luck

May 15, 2021
I've recently (as of 3 weeks) been encountering some really weird crashes, where my just goes out as soon as it's stressed, hilariously I crash even with roblox. First, I thought it was an overheating issue since it had already happened before (my build is really old) and I change thermal paste multiple times. Today, I used Speccy to check out my temperatures and see what was going on, I opened a game which always crashes my pc, it's called "Escape Room" on steam, just a dumb unity game I wanted to play with my gf, anyways, I start the game, expecting temperature readings to jump and... nope, max temp was 40°C on both cpu and gpu and the maximum hardware temp of them is 60°C. I don't know what to do anymore, I've read countless forum posts and tried a lot of stuff to no success.
AND THAT'S NOT ALL, I also cannot boot regularly, for example, I wake up early to connect to virtual classes and when I press the power button, it goes through a lot of leds on the pc and it crashes, right before it crashes the CPU LED shines red, every single time, then, I have to turn off the psu or it won't let me power it up again, wait for the light to turn off, turn the psu on, and try again, over, and over, and over, until it miraculously boots and loads Windows. And also, the USBs in the front of the case work sometimes, sometimes they don't so I just don't use the front panel to connect anything anymore. Here are my specs:
  • CPU: AMD FX-8350
  • GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 EVO R2.0 (Socket 942)
  • PSU: 600W Old Thermaltake
  • RAM: 24,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz
  • STORAGE: 465GB Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 (SATA )
  • 24GB ADATA SU650 (SATA (SSD))
What I've tried so far (to no avail):
  • Reset and changing the CMOS battery
  • Changed thermal paste (multiple times)
  • Fresh Windows Install
  • I tried underclocking the gpu (to no avail)
  • Trying with only one ram - switching ram slots
  • Reset BIOS settings
  • Flashbacked the BIOS
I know I'm asking for a lot here, and to be honest, at this point I should just change PC but I wanted to know if there was at least a temporal fix so I can boot normally and don't have to spend 20 minutes booting up so I can join my classes, also, somehow, I can play League of Legends but I can't play roblox or the steam game I told you about, sometimes it crashes with CSGO and sometimes it crashes with BO2, so... I don't know.
Here's a video of me booting up the Escape Room game and it crashing (notice the CPU LED):
View: https://imgur.com/a/02wnmMT

View: https://imgur.com/a/02wnmMT

Last edited:
Solution
I mean I can get into the OS and it won't crash if I don't put it through games, It can stay all day on but if I open a semi-intensive game (basically anything that isn't LoL) it crashes.
I opened event viewer as you said and found this: (Sorry for the language, I'm Latinamerican)
View: https://imgur.com/a/XoNlC3E

But it's basically a lot of Event 41, don't know exactly what this means though.

Kernal Power Event 41 is most commonly associated with unplanned shutdown because you hit restart/held the power button OR that the power supply is failing, and particularly under load.

I wouldn't go buy the "absolute best" PSU you could buy for that system unless you have a complete rebuild around the...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I mean I can get into the OS and it won't crash if I don't put it through games, It can stay all day on but if I open a semi-intensive game (basically anything that isn't LoL) it crashes.
I opened event viewer as you said and found this: (Sorry for the language, I'm Latinamerican)
View: https://imgur.com/a/XoNlC3E

But it's basically a lot of Event 41, don't know exactly what this means though.

Kernal Power Event 41 is most commonly associated with unplanned shutdown because you hit restart/held the power button OR that the power supply is failing, and particularly under load.

I wouldn't go buy the "absolute best" PSU you could buy for that system unless you have a complete rebuild around the corner. Any modern, known brand PSU with a Bronze or better rating should suffice. Might even ask around to see if a friend has one you could borrow...but if I were going to bet, I would place it on PSU going out.

Solution