[SOLVED] PC Crashing after a while of heavy gaming

Noforus

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
Hey there! So i have been having this issue. When i play a game thats really intensive like 90-99% GPU Usage, after a while of gaming, my pc will just crash and shuts off. And to turn it on again, i must unplug the power cable. Unplug it from the adapter, and replug the whole thing. Its really confusing, at first i thought its the GPU (RTX 2060), since the temperature is kinda high, 80-83 while under load. Then i changed the thermal on the GPU and try to move my pc to a better spot where it will get better airflow. And the temps drop to about 70-77 which is not bad i guess. And it still happens. I don't think its the CPU since its temps are quite normal around 50-65 under load. But i do think its the PSU. Because, when i have the GTX 1060, this never happens. When i upgrade to the 2060, this starts happening. Is it because i have a 500W PSU? maybe its not supplying enough power? if its the PSU then i will probably change it to a better one. The PSU brand is FSP HEXA+ 500W. Anyone knows what the problem is? Do i need to change my PSU or is it the placement of the PSU?
My PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
Stock AMD cooler
Asrock AB350M-HDV
Klevv Bolt X 16 GB (8GB x 2) 3200Mhz
TUF Gaming RTX 2060
1 x WD Green 1TB
1 x SSD Galax 120GB

Heres the picture of the placement:
Sorry its a little bit dusty
the case is cube gaming valborg
116331.jpg

Solution
Sudden power-offs tend to be temperatures or PSU. The temperatures don't sound like the problem and the PSU is a pretty low-quality PSU to be using with these specs. The problem isn't so much the wattage as the quality; it's a very cheap, group-regulated PSU, inappropriate for something like a 2060 and a modern platform. In post-Pentium III terms, it's not even a real 500W PSU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Sudden power-offs tend to be temperatures or PSU. The temperatures don't sound like the problem and the PSU is a pretty low-quality PSU to be using with these specs. The problem isn't so much the wattage as the quality; it's a very cheap, group-regulated PSU, inappropriate for something like a 2060 and a modern platform. In post-Pentium III terms, it's not even a real 500W PSU.

Reactions: Noforus
Solution

Noforus

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
Ah i see, can you recommend some good and futureproof psu? cuz i probably be upgrading most of the stuff on my pc :D

I'm thinking PSU as well.
Seasonic and Corsair are generally good quality units.
To future proof I'd go with at least 750 watts (which would cover pretty much any GPU out at the moment).

Here are some links regarding what's a quality PSU and what isn't.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ah i see, can you recommend some good and futureproof psu? cuz i probably be upgrading most of the stuff on my pc :D

Tier lists are never going to have universal agreement, but anything in Tier A will get the job done.

If you're getting a 3080 or something, I'd get at least 750W as those can spike pretty high.

Noforus

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
Okay, i replaced my PSU with a MSI A850GF, and no more crashing anymore! Thanks guys!

TRENDING THREADS