Question PC crashing after changing any GPU configuration (except for resolution)

davidjfrickert

Prominent
Aug 29, 2018
Hello,

I recently got a new monitor (Acer KG271U) and was excited to get my "modest" 2K 75hz working.
I changed into 2K easily, but when I try to change to 75hz I get black screen for 10-20 secs and PC reboots.
Seeing the event log there is a Kernel-Power error 41-63 and a dump with codename 'UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP'

PC:
Ryzen 5 2400g
Vega 56 MSI airboost
550W Seasonic Gold+ PSU
MSI B450M PRO-VDH mobo
2x8GB G.skill RIPJAWS V 3000MHz
256GB SSD
2TB HDD
2 case fans

I have tried cleaning up AMD drivers with their utility and installing WHQL driver, same problem happens.
I'm at 19.9.2 at the moment.
Any other setting change like moving from RGB to YCbCr or 10bpc to 8bpc crashes the PC as well.

I also tried connecting the monitor to a new PC i ordered for my cousin (Ryzen 5 3600, B450M PRO-VDH Plus, RX 580, etc, 2x8GB 3000MHz) and no problems in that PC..

Really don't know what to do, any tips please?

Many thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
I assume you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? A system with a Vega 56 equipped should ideally be running off of an 650W PSU. You seem to short. Try and work with a higher wattage PSU and see if the issue is resolved.

On another note, did you try working with DDU to clear the drivers before reinstalling?

davidjfrickert

Prominent
Aug 29, 2018
I assume you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? A system with a Vega 56 equipped should ideally be running off of an 650W PSU. You seem to short. Try and work with a higher wattage PSU and see if the issue is resolved.

On another note, did you try working with DDU to clear the drivers before reinstalling?

I am on the latest BIOS yes.
I never had any problem with that and saw many people agreeing with 550W being enough, also can't really get hold of a 650W PSU just for testing..

I did use AMD Cleanup Utility, but I will try with DDU.

Also I forgot to mention this is a FreeSync monitor.

davidjfrickert

Prominent
Aug 29, 2018
Hm.. Manually setting 75Hz with Custom Resolution Utility partly solved the problem.
I now have 75Hz working but changing any setting in Radeon configs still crash the system.

Weird stuff.