Question PC crashing after installing a 3070 Ti ?

alanjames82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2016
PC Specs:
i7 8700k currently running stock clocks
asus z370 gaming f motherboard
16gb corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 2666mhz
samsung 960 pro m.2 nvme
asus tuf gaming 3070ti with latest driver
seasonic focus gx850w psu
Windows 10 Home latest build

the pc originally came with a 1080ti and had a corsair 650w psu installed. a year ago i sold the 1080ti when i was low on cash and used an old HD7970 as a replacement. the 7970 died about 3 months ago and i used on board gpu for lighter games for a while. up until now i was running windows 11. i recently bought the 3070ti and since then the pc has been crashing once or twice a day.

I swapped out the old 650w psu for the 850w one i have now, and also reverted to windows 10 and still it crashes. i have just removed the overclock to see if this helps. event viewer just gives me event id 41 (unexpected shutdown/crash). can the failure of the old 7970 have damaged the pcie socket? short of sending the card back does anyone have any idea on where the problem may lie?

Lutfij

Titan
Where did you source your installer for Windows 10? For the sake of this thread, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Can you recall what the older Corsair unit's model was? Was the system listed above(sans the GTX1080Ti) purchased used?

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
The main reason a GPU may keep crashing is due to increased temperature. The overheating is a result from overclocking of the GPU or a slow video RAM clock. A GPU can also crash because of old drivers or a faulty power supply.

alanjames82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2016
Where did you source your installer for Windows 10? For the sake of this thread, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Can you recall what the older Corsair unit's model was? Was the system listed above(sans the GTX1080Ti) purchased used?
Hi I got the windows installation media directly from the microsoft website. The version is 10.0.19044 build 19044. The old corsair psu was rm650x. Bios is the latest version (3004). The pc was purchased new by me.
When the pc crashes the screen displays artifacts before it reboots, which I have been advised suggests a gpu problem. So I have RMA'd the card.

alanjames82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2016
The main reason a GPU may keep crashing is due to increased temperature. The overheating is a result from overclocking of the GPU or a slow video RAM clock. A GPU can also crash because of old drivers or a faulty power supply.
Hi, the gpu is not overclocked, vram speeds are stock. Drivers are latest and the crashes happened on old and new psu