[SOLVED] Pc crashing after ram upgrade, and still crashing after got old ram back.

Feb 24, 2019
Hi Everyone, i have been searching for the answer to this problem for a few weeks now, and I have only seen posts regarding the incompatibility of old and new Ram sticks.

My issue:
I have a lenovo laptop y50-70 with dual ram sticks, i use to have 2 samsung 4gb Ram soddim ddr3 1600mhz 12800s 1rx8 1.35v.

I then bought a 8gb ddr3 1600mhz 12800s 1.5v from Kingston and added with one of the 4gb stick.

So after i made this changes, my laptop start crashing randomly, it freezes for a few seconds and then go back to normal.

What i have already tried:
I have been reading a lot of answers from SO, and i have found about the incompatibility of both sticks one being 1.35v and the other 1.5. So i have rolled back from my previous setting and I still get the problem.

I have performed memory diagnostics and haven't found any failure.
(For both 8 + 4 sticks and with 4 +4)

What must be taken in consideration:
By the time i did the ram upgrade I also upgrade from a hdd to a ssd, and had my ssd split into a linux and a windows dual boot. I don't know if this might have something to do with my ram issue

My question:
What should I do now? Is there a way that I can solve this? Maybe the voltage change has affected the motherboard and if so, how can i get it back to normal?

I appreciate any help guys this is reallly bothering me.

Solution
Probably your only recourse is ask Lenovo how much they charge to recondition their systems out of warranty, if they do. The dimm might have pulled 0.15 more volts thru the mem controller than it should have, possibly. Not sure if that's on the cpu or board or if they are hardwired together rather than socketed. Power management on tablets is even more sensitive than a pc. And they are less modular and so it's not a nice piece of kit to have a problem with.

The freezing issue might be related to the windows page file as there is a delay while it pages out I don't know if you have enough free space on your hard disk, or if it set the right size, or if it got garbled and will have to be deleted and re-created, does the same thing...
Feb 24, 2019
Are both RAM modules used from the same batch? Or are they mixed modules?
I couldn't understand correctly from the original post.
Originally yes they are two 4Gb modules from the same batch, the problem happened after i tried to use one of the 4Gb modules with another 8Gb module from a different brand and voltage. But now I'm using the original 4gb modules again as it was in the original setting but the problem still persists.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Probably your only recourse is ask Lenovo how much they charge to recondition their systems out of warranty, if they do. The dimm might have pulled 0.15 more volts thru the mem controller than it should have, possibly. Not sure if that's on the cpu or board or if they are hardwired together rather than socketed. Power management on tablets is even more sensitive than a pc. And they are less modular and so it's not a nice piece of kit to have a problem with.

The freezing issue might be related to the windows page file as there is a delay while it pages out I don't know if you have enough free space on your hard disk, or if it set the right size, or if it got garbled and will have to be deleted and re-created, does the same thing happen with the linux install (the same problem occurring in both os's would likely indicate a hardware problem).

I wouldn't want to try to run windows setup without knowing if the hardware is good you'll end up at square zero probably. Send to Lenovo.

Solution