Question PC crashing and blue screening after BIOS update and fresh Windows 10 install

Oct 28, 2022
So I decided to do a fresh Windows install since it's been a few years. I also noticed my BIOS was hella out of date so I updated that as well (upgraded to bios version 2603). Ever since upgrading the BIOS, my PC is bluescreening frequently - I even had to make multiple attempts at installing Windows 10 because it would blue screen during the install. After about 4 attempts I finally got Windows installed but now it's blue screening all over the place.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS X Hero (WiFi AC)
CPU: i7 8700k
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080
New BIOS version: Version 2603

I've tried re-flashing the bios a couple times and even tried a couple different BIOS versions and different flash drives.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

It can help to update chipset drivers after a bios update. Same with the intel management engine interface

Updating a BIOS just because one exists isn't always a good idea. Its normally only needed if its adds support for hardware you have or plan on getting.

you could try 2701, the only things it changes is the secure boot setting and may turn on TPM.
Updating BIOS shouldn't cause BSOD, if anything it should resolve problems.
Can you remember what BIOS number you were on before?

What BSOD codes are you getting?
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Oct 28, 2022
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

It can help to update chipset drivers after a bios update. Same with the intel management engine interface

Updating a BIOS just because one exists isn't always a good idea. Its normally only needed if its adds support for hardware you have or plan on getting.

you could try 2701, the only things it changes is the secure boot setting and may turn on TPM.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Thanks for the detailed response. I analyzed the dump file from one of the blue screens and it pointed to a possible memory issue. So I ran memtest64 and it came back with over 12,000 errors. I then started doing tests on the individual ram sticks to identify which ones are faulty and to rule out possible ram slot issues. Tests are ongoing, but so far I’ve found 2 sticks with errors, and one stick that passed 4 memtest64 passes on all 4 slots. So it appears I’ll have to replace the ram. Not a terrible thing because it’s an opportunity to upgrade to faster RAM. I’m running a 3080 and my previous RAM was 2800mhz which could

My question is - how could doing a Bios update damage the ram? Is it possible that the memory issues existed before the bios update but I just didn’t notice? I wasn’t experiencing any blue screens prior to the bios update.

Regarding the BIOS versions - I don’t recall which version I was on before, wish I made note of it. I know that it was old enough to no longer be available for download on Asus’ website. I tried 2701 first and had the same problems. Actually with 2701 I couldn’t even get windows to install as it would BSOD during the windows installation. So I reverted to the next newest version (2603) and was at least able to get windows installed. The reason why I performed a bios update in the first place was to enable PCIe 4.0, looking back it clearly wasn’t worth it lol

Ill post the dump file and memtest64 results here shortly.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022

I should also add that I did update the chipset drivers after the bios update but not the intel management engine.
Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, do that. Once your system restarts, you may have to configure your settings again, but hopefully will sort the ram issue. If you don't clear CMOS some old microcode can linger and cause little bugs, often with ram.
I did not clear the CMOS, I’ll try that. Could that really cause 12,000 errors in memtest64? Is it possible that the RAM isn’t actually faulty?

I should also add that I did update the chipset drivers after the bios update but not the intel management engine.

I did not clear the CMOS, I’ll try that. Could that really cause 12,000 errors in memtest64? Is it possible that the RAM isn’t actually faulty?
I coundn't be sure about that. I wouldn't think so, but I guess it could do. No harm in clearing CMOS anyway, given you updated and rolled back the bios.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022
I would just test one of the sticks that had all the errors instead of all 4, just to see if clearing CMOS made any difference

BIOS updates add support for ram so its possible the different timings available might cause the errors.
I've never cleared the CMOS on this motherboard before. It has a clear CMOS button, and I tried the following steps but it doesn't seem to be clearing. Am I doing something wrong?

• unplug power
  • remove CMOS battery
  • press and hold clear CMOS button for 5-10 seconds
  • reinstall the battery

Oct 28, 2022
Its fun finding instructions for that function in your manual
Only thing I can find is a reference to the button
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...646_ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO_WI-FI_AC_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
it mentions everything else.
Including the mem OK button (see page 1-10)

this might help - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030210/
Yeah I consulted the manual but for whatever reason the clear cmos button isn’t actually clearing the cmos. Would resetting the bios settings from within the bios essentially do the same thing?

Oct 28, 2022
I would just test one of the sticks that had all the errors instead of all 4, just to see if clearing CMOS made any difference

BIOS updates add support for ram so its possible the different timings available might cause the errors.
Ok so here are the memtest64 results:

Stick 1 - 2 errors
Stick 2 - 0 errors (in all 4 ram slots)
Stick 3 - 0 errors (in all 4 ram slots)
Stick4 - 10,000+ errors

Stick 2 + stick 3 - over 600 errors

Stick 2 and 3 came back healthy independently, but together in slots A2 and B2 there were tons of errors...very strange

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Stick 2 & 4 are dead.

On that board, you should use A2 if you only have 1 stick. So its strange it worked with the A1 & B1 with any of the sticks. Page 1-5 shows preferred slots - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...646_ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO_WI-FI_AC_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

So in A2 both sticks are fine, but in A2 & B2, they error.
That would seem to indicate the problem is the slots on the motherboard. Perhaps check if any bent pins in that slot.

Oct 28, 2022
Stick 2 & 4 are dead.

On that board, you should use A2 if you only have 1 stick. So its strange it worked with the A1 & B1 with any of the sticks. Page 1-5 shows preferred slots - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...646_ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO_WI-FI_AC_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

So in A2 both sticks are fine, but in A2 & B2, they error.
That would seem to indicate the problem is the slots on the motherboard. Perhaps check if any bent pins in that slot.
I replaced the RAM with 4x8gb and everything tested fine. So the board is fine it was just the ram. Still pretty confused how a bios update could have killed ram though…