Question pc crashing and mb orange light

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
My pc is crashing in random situations like just using Opera or playing games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
It crashes, both audio and video and then it restarts but it doesn't reboot automatically: The motherboard shows an orange light near the RAM dimms and then after a while it restarts, the orange light turns red and then white and the pc starts normally.
What could it be? I've just installed Windows 10. All drivers are up to date.
The BIOS is also up to date. (3003 version)

My rig:
  • Asus ROG Strix B450F Gaming
  • Ryzen 7 2700x (I've set all cores to 4.1 Ghz perfectly stable)
  • G.Skill Trident Z 2x8 3000mhz
  • MSi ARMOR RTX 2070 8G
  • Thermaltake Smart 700W
  • 1 tb Western Digital HDD
  • 500 gb m.2 nvme XPG Spectrix S40G
  • 250 gb Sandisk SSD

Update: I've reinstalled the BIOS and played Modern Warfare for 2 hours and no sigh of crash. This may have solved the issue but I'll keep testing and I'll post the results later.

Last edited:

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Can you give any information about how often that occurs? Does it take weeks before each occurrence? Does it happens more often at certain times a day?

Did you just built pr bought it?

Thanks for your reply.
It happened two or three times. I reinstalled the latest BIOS version, kept testing for the last few days and everything seems to be fine. I still don't know what happened and if the reinstallation of the BIOS was the problem solver but apparently those random crashes are gone and I hope it stays this way.

I've built this pc myself. It's almost 1 year old.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
And it happened again. After some weeks, the crash just happened while I was playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
The PC wouldn't boot so I had to to remove the CMOS battery and then it started normally. At this point I don't know what could be causing this so, I need help!

I'm testing using the pc without any overclock to see if the crash happen again.

Update: It crashed again. Even with all BIOS settings on default. What a headache!

Update 2: Now I've noticed something rather distressing: everytime I connect or disconnect the mouse or keyboard USB, it crashes.

Last edited:

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
My guess it is related to power. What I cannot tell is it is likely to be a bad PSU or an internal issue with the MB. The chances are equal - buying a new PSU is probably the cheapest and may or may not solve the problem.

Thanks for your reply. I saw in another forum that the problem may be related to the BIOS. Other people with the same mobo were having these terrible crashes, so I decided to install an older version of the BIOS and apparently things are working perfectly.
The pc was crashing so hard with the newest version that sometimes I couldn't even boot to Windows. Now everything is working.
I'll keep testing and in a few days I'll post some updates.

Reactions: Grobe