Question PC crashing and restarting on game startup without warning

Jan 19, 2021
So recently I have been having a problem where my pc would crash and restart without warning and this has started happening about 2 months ago and at first I thought it was my power supply and after a change of one the pc worked fine for a couple of weeks then started happening again. I then reset my whole system to fix it for a while and it would work for a bit then the crashes would start again after a week. I then ran many troubleshoot methods like running the memory diagnosis tool which said that there were no problems found and I updated my motherboard to the latest BIOS which seemed to help the problem but not long after the crashes would start again. Recently I reset my whole pc fresh without windows and installed it again with a flash drive and while I was setting up windows my graphic card drivers seemed to install themselves giving me reason to believe that it is the graphics card. I uninstalled the graphics with DDU and then again the installed themselves again. I then ran the computer in safe mode and decided to run a game in safe mode because when launching a game is when the pc would crash and occasionally the system would crash just on desktop. The game would be able to start up fine in safe mode and when I exited safe mode the system would crash on the same game on startup. So on pretty much ever game I have the system would crash on startup. This has happened to me so many times and I would like to hear some responses about this

SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU- AMD Radeon rx 590 Fatboy

Motherboard- asus rog strix b450-f gaming

RAM- 2 sticks of 4 gb 2400 mhz and 1 stick of 8 gb 3600mhz

PSU- 650 watt 80 plus gold modular corsair psu

Thank you for the help :)

Windows 10 will install drivers for anything that doesnt have them installed. normally these are not the latest and greatest so its always recommend to head over to the manufactures webpage for each part and download the newest versions.

What could be causing the issue is the mixed set of ram you are running. try pulling out the single 8GB stick and only run the 2x4GB sticks in dual channel and see if you get any crashes. If you dont i would recommend buying a 2x8GB kit and remove any of the old sticks.

Jan 19, 2021
Windows 10 will install drivers for anything that doesnt have them installed. normally these are not the latest and greatest so its always recommend to head over to the manufactures webpage for each part and download the newest versions.

What could be causing the issue is the mixed set of ram you are running. try pulling out the single 8GB stick and only run the 2x4GB sticks in dual channel and see if you get any crashes. If you dont i would recommend buying a 2x8GB kit and remove any of the old sticks.
Yes I have used only used the same speed for the 2 ram sticks and have had crashes

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
Can you try undervolting the GPU and the CPU and test if it happens again

Oh and, did you try cleaning all the connectors? Like PCIE or the CPU slot

And have you tested your rig with any other GPU's to see if it is an unstable GPU issue? You can buy a cheap 10 dollar graphics card to test that out

Jan 19, 2021
Can you try undervolting the GPU and the CPU and test if it happens again

Oh and, did you try cleaning all the connectors? Like PCIE or the CPU slot

And have you tested your rig with any other GPU's to see if it is an unstable GPU issue? You can buy a cheap 10 dollar graphics card to test that out
Yes I am trying to that but recently the pc has been crashing while I have just some apps open not even games

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
My Old PC was also doing that.. Not sure how i fixed it.. But played with bios settings and flashed alot of windows 10 to it, also cleaned the ports as well,

Can it stay on bios? Does it crash on safe mode and in bios?

Jan 19, 2021
My Old PC was also doing that.. Not sure how i fixed it.. But played with bios settings and flashed alot of windows 10 to it, also cleaned the ports as well,

Can it stay on bios? Does it crash on safe mode and in bios?
Yes I am able to enter the bios and no it doesn't crash in bios or safe mode
Just when the windows logo pops up I am being put in a automatic repair loop so I cant even enter my computer and my motherboard has a solid orange light

Update: I was able to enter windows I just had to move the ram

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS