Question PC crashing at weird intervals during games.

Artem Rastyagaev

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
I have a PC connected to my 4k TV in the living room to watch streaming services and play games. The games are played at 1080p because it's a 1070ti in there.

It has this weird issue where in some games in some certain places either the display driver will crash killing the hdmi signal and I can blind mash alt+f4 and enter to shut down OR the crash will make the BRRRRRRR sound and the PC has to be choked out. Things that are probably not the issue:

- Not the GPU, as I've put in my other 1070ti from my office PC in there to the same result. Both otherwise work fine for most uses and games in either machine.

- Not the RAM, I've tried every configuration of the 4 sticks of 32 in there. CMOS reset for default settings on bios also.

- Not the GPU drivers, did DDU wipe a couple times.

- Not the cable or the TV, swapped both.

- Not thermal issues, monitored through HWmonitor

Is it maybe power related? Or bad mobo part somewhere? Can't imagine it's the CPUs fault but idk.

Recent games in question that crash repeatedly in the same spot without fail:

MH Rise, kept crashing on the same pile of bones. Issue resolved itself at some point.

NMS, crashes on same planet same spot.

STALKER Anomaly GAMMA when upscaled from 1080p to 4k using LossLess scaling.

As you can see not exactly graphically intensive games. However there was Elden Ring, that kept crashing during the snakeman fight. Lowering the graphics got me through it, game didn't crash anywhere else.

I'm leaning towards maybe bad power distribution at the fault of the mobo or the power supply, some clues being that lowering the graphics sometimes helps and a previously installed GTX 1060 3g that draws less power (presumably) didn't have this issue.

However other, more graphically intensive games run without a hitch. Tarkov, the uncharted remaster, horizon zero dawn.

Hardware issue somewhere between mobo and PSU? Or maybe just windows being stupid?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I see a lot of beating around the bush, but the most important is completely absent from your topic. Namely:
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

And while you're at it, full system specs as well.

Artem Rastyagaev

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
I see a lot of beating around the bush, but the most important is completely absent from your topic. Namely:
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

And while you're at it, full system specs as well.

EVGA 500W bought new around 2018-2019. An identical one sits in my office PC since before then with no issues.

9700k sitting in a b350 variant board

32 gigs of 3200hz ram clocked at 2666 which is max for said board. Although different settings were also tried.

Artem Rastyagaev

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
What exact EVGA 500W PSU? This is a hobby in which details are absolutely crucial. There are some quite horrible EVGA PSUs at precisely 500W that should never be used with a GPU that requires supplementary power.

Does it really matter? If it could be the PSU just let me know, I'll go buy a new one and replace it. The one I bought was from microcenter for like $60, always assumed EVGA was a reputable brand for these things. Not home atm to look at the serial number.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Does it really matter? If it could be the PSU just let me know, I'll go buy a new one and replace it. The one I bought was from microcenter for like $60, always assumed EVGA was a reputable brand for these things. Not home atm to look at the serial number.

I wouldn't ask if it didn't matter. It could be the PSU, but if you have a junk PSU in there, you need to put in something quality in there to rule it out. PSUs are a primary cause of crashing at load.

Artem Rastyagaev

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
I wouldn't ask if it didn't matter. It could be the PSU, but if you have a junk PSU in there, you need to put in something quality in there to rule it out. PSUs are a primary cause of crashing at load.

I can buy a new one, live right next to a microcenter. Worst case I'll have a spare PSU laying around. When I get home I'll also try to limit cards power draw in after burner maybe that'll work.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I can buy a new one, live right next to a microcenter. Worst case I'll have a spare PSU laying around. When I get home I'll also try to limit cards power draw in after burner maybe that'll work.

Your spare PSU might be junk and if you in fact bought one junk PSU, how would you avoid buying another?

In any case, I wish you luck resolving your issue. Supplying basic information about a PC is the very first step of properly diagnosing a problem. There are a lot of people with PC problems to help who aren't going to subject people to a game of 20 Questions.

Artem Rastyagaev

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
Your spare PSU might be junk and if you in fact bought one junk PSU, how would you avoid buying another?

In any case, I wish you luck resolving your issue. Supplying basic information about a PC is the very first step of properly diagnosing a problem. There are a lot of people with PC problems to help who aren't going to subject people to a game of 20 Questions.

I'll do the research, won't ask here because apparently asking one question equals twenty. You answered the ONE question I had "could it be a power issue" and the answer was yes. No need to be mean about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'll do the research, won't ask here because apparently asking one question equals twenty. You answered the ONE question I had "could it be a power issue" and the answer was yes. No need to be mean about it.

There is no shame of listing the exact make and model of a PSU. Loads of people have bought junk PSUs, since they just doesn't know better. And once PSU build quality is established by our resident experts, many people are educated on PSUs (which to buy, which to avoid). I, myself, have been in countless topics, educating people about PSUs. I don't see anything shameful in that. After all, we have schools in the whole world, where educated people teach the ones that doesn't know better.

You don't seem to want the education we could offer about PC hardware (namely PSU quality), instead, you want to research all of it on your own. That's fine. But this rises a question: if you want to research all of it on your own, then why make this topic of yours in the first place? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: