[SOLVED] PC crashing (BSOD) after RAM upgrade ?

PeterPinus

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
So my PC is getting old as I'm still running on DDR3. I had 16GB (4+4+4+4) of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz. One fried during a power spike. So I had 12GB, all fine for years (4+4+4).
Decided to upgrade to play more recent games without stutter but couldn't find the same RAM for a decent price. I ended up buying an inexpensive G.SKILL 8GB stick DDR3 @ 1600MHz CL11. So now I have a (4+4+4+8) configuration.

And now I'm getting BSODs out of nowhere (latest was fltmgr.sys error).

Maybe I have something configured wrong? Or something needs to be changed to accommodate the new stick?

CPUID says that the Corsair sticks are running on Single "Ranks" and XMP 1.3 and the G.SKILL one on Dual and XMP 1.2. The timings table is different also, but running on the same voltage.

MY PC Specs:
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
AMD FX8350 @ Stock
GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX2060 SUPER GAMING OC
SAMSUNG SSD EVO SATAIII 250GB
Corsair RM850i Power Supply

Solution
If you need more than 16GB's of ram, your platform will support 32GB's of it but please be wary that a platform as old as yours might just conk out due to age/wear and tear. If you simply want 16GB's of ram, look into a 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz 1.65v kit. Pretty much all brands will have that, just that you might need to look in places like Ebay.

Lutfij

Titan
You shouldn't mix and match rams. Remove the G.Skill stick of ram and perhaps look into another ram kit or a kit that's 2x8GB or leave it as it was prior to the G.Skill stick of ram.

Maybe I have something configurated wrong?
The IC's on the sticks of Corsair rams are not the same as the one's on your G.Skill ram. Yes, you have the wrong stick of ram paired with the others.

Think of ram upgrades like you would with tires. For a vehicle with 4 wheels, if you use a snow tire on one but leave the other 3 on road going tires, during summer, you're going to see shift in your wheel alignment which can affect more than just your gas mileage.

PeterPinus

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
You shouldn't mix and match rams. Remove the G.Skill stick of ram and perhaps look into another ram kit or a kit that's 2x8GB or leave it as it was prior to the G.Skill stick of ram.

Maybe I have something configurated wrong?
The IC's on the sticks of Corsair rams are not the same as the one's on your G.Skill ram. Yes, you have the wrong stick of ram paired with the others.

Think of ram upgrades like you would with tires. For a vehicle with 4 wheels, if you use a snow tire on one but leave the other 3 on road going tires, during summer, you're going to see shift in your wheel alignment which can affect more than just your gas mileage.
Thank you for the response!

So should I look for something specific in the new 2x8GB kit or any will go as long as they're dual channel?

Lutfij

Titan
If you need more than 16GB's of ram, your platform will support 32GB's of it but please be wary that a platform as old as yours might just conk out due to age/wear and tear. If you simply want 16GB's of ram, look into a 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz 1.65v kit. Pretty much all brands will have that, just that you might need to look in places like Ebay.

Last edited:
Solution