Question PC Crashing During 3D Apps - Event 41 Kernel Power

Dec 7, 2022
Hello esteemed people of Tom's Hardware. First time poster here, out of pure desperation I assure you. For quite a while now I've been experiencing PC crashes when using 3D applications and gaming. It goes something like this: I'll be playing a game or some other 3D task when the sound on my PC will cut out and the screen will freeze. Not black screen, but frozen and unresponsive. I'll leave the PC alone for ~10-15 seconds and it will automatically restart. After that everything will work fine until it randomly decides to cash again at some point in the future. Sometimes several days or a week between crashes, sometimes multiple instances in a day. I can't decern any real pattern to it beyond it occurring in graphically intensive situations. I've had it crash on a whole spectrum of different games ranging from Dota 2 to Cyberpunk 2077. I've also experienced the problem in non-gaming (though still demanding) tasks like ZBrush, Unreal Engine, and Substance Painter. I've never had a crash just idling or surfing the net. I'd say it's fine 85% of the time, but it's annoying to lose an hour of work when it does decide to crash.

Checking event viewer after a crash and I see the wonderfully unhelpful Event 41, Kernel Power. It also gives me the keywords: (70368744177664)(2).

Things I've tried: I've replaced the graphics card and power supply. I've done a clean install of windows and drivers, 'upgrading' from windows 10 to 11. Looked at my temps in case something was overheating, but it all appears fine. Run MemTest64 with no errors. I should also mention that I haven't touched anything in the BIOS besides enabling XMP.

Here are my system specs:
Intel i9 10850k
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite
64 GB (4x 16) Trident Z Neo DDR4
Corsair RM1000x PSU
Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT 360mm AIO
MSI RTX 3090ti Suprim

Right now, I'm leaning towards it being something with my RAM, but I'm more than open to suggestions. I'm going to try and remove 2 sticks and see where that gets me, but we'll see. My cousin has similar setup in terms of RAM and processor (10700k and 32 GB 4x8 Trident Z RGB) and also has this issue, which is what makes me think RAM.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Here are the details on Event Viewer if it's helpful:

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>9</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-12-06T23:08:48.9156107Z" />

<EventRecordID>12616</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>CodyPC</Computer>

<Security UserID="N-O-P-E" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">16</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">7</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">119</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>

<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">119</Data>

<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>

<Data Name="LidReliability">false</Data>

<Data Name="InputSuppressionState">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonSuppressionState">0</Data>

<Data Name="LidState">3</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Hello esteemed people of Tom's Hardware. First time poster here, out of pure desperation I assure you. For quite a while now I've been experiencing PC crashes when using 3D applications and gaming. It goes something like this: I'll be playing a game or some other 3D task when the sound on my PC will cut out and the screen will freeze. Not black screen, but frozen and unresponsive. I'll leave the PC alone for ~10-15 seconds and it will automatically restart. After that everything will work fine until it randomly decides to cash again at some point in the future. Sometimes several days or a week between crashes, sometimes multiple instances in a day. I can't decern any real pattern to it beyond it occurring in graphically intensive situations. I've had it crash on a whole spectrum of different games ranging from Dota 2 to Cyberpunk 2077. I've also experienced the problem in non-gaming (though still demanding) tasks like ZBrush, Unreal Engine, and Substance Painter. I've never had a crash just idling or surfing the net. I'd say it's fine 85% of the time, but it's annoying to lose an hour of work when it does decide to crash.

Checking event viewer after a crash and I see the wonderfully unhelpful Event 41, Kernel Power. It also gives me the keywords: (70368744177664)(2).

Things I've tried: I've replaced the graphics card and power supply. I've done a clean install of windows and drivers, 'upgrading' from windows 10 to 11. Looked at my temps in case something was overheating, but it all appears fine. Run MemTest64 with no errors. I should also mention that I haven't touched anything in the BIOS besides enabling XMP.

Intel i9 10850k
Corsair RM1000x PSU
MSI RTX 3090ti Suprim

Right now, I'm leaning towards it being something with my RAM, but I'm more than open to suggestions. I'm going to try and remove 2 sticks and see where that gets me, but we'll see. My cousin has similar setup in terms of RAM and processor (10700k and 32 GB 4x8 Trident Z RGB) and also has this issue, which is what makes me think RAM.

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>9</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Correlation />

</System>

- <EventData>

</EventData>

</Event>
Have you installed all of these?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...8283_n.zip?v=5449db0c9a1cc7ca06306bf7c96fb3ed

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...9.2022.zip?v=b7104df8102020826e684aa053fdf06c

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0.9805.zip?v=8d7838cd747a2f0473bc597d340c0693

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...te_f6a.zip?v=bead9e4335f2d64dc37136afe02fd33d

Intel i9 10850k
Corsair RM1000x PSU
MSI RTX 3090ti Suprim

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>9</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Correlation />

</System>

- <EventData>

</EventData>

</Event>
powercfg /h off
also try running that in cmd as admin, it is also seeming like your computer is randomly trying to go-to rest this would resolve that

Intel i9 10850k
Corsair RM1000x PSU
MSI RTX 3090ti Suprim

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>9</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Correlation />

</System>

- <EventData>

</EventData>

</Event>
The Kernel Power Error (70368744177664) is related to the graphics card and is caused by the graphics card not being compatible with the motherboard. The solution is to reset your RAM and graphics card for fixing this Kernel Power Error.

shepard_ash

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
I have been experiencing the same issue since 2 weeks, first i thought it was windows update to 22h2 so i downgraded to 21h2, but i am still facing the same issue while playing dota, i try furmark and it runs very smoothly it doesnt shut down, i played dota yesterday it didnt shut down, but today it did 5 times, got meself a good ban. also experiencing the same in warzone 2.0

my specs-
Gigabyte aorus x570 wifi
amd r9 3900x
32gb corsair vengeance (xmp profile)
liquid cooler aorus 360 mm
rtx 3080ti inno3d chillx4
psu EVGA 1300watt supernova g2, 8 years old
gigabyte m.2 ssd 1 tb aorus gen 4

Dec 7, 2022
I have been experiencing the same issue since 2 weeks, first i thought it was windows update to 22h2 so i downgraded to 21h2, but i am still facing the same issue while playing dota, i try furmark and it runs very smoothly it doesnt shut down, i played dota yesterday it didnt shut down, but today it did 5 times, got meself a good ban. also experiencing the same in warzone 2.0

my specs-
Gigabyte aorus x570 wifi
amd r9 3900x
32gb corsair vengeance (xmp profile)
liquid cooler aorus 360 mm
rtx 3080ti inno3d chillx4
psu EVGA 1300watt supernova g2, 8 years old
gigabyte m.2 ssd 1 tb aorus gen 4
So I'm not 100% sure I've resolved the issue, but I haven't had any crashes in about 3 weeks. What seems to have worked for me is updating my BIOS as suggested above (which I hadn't touched at all since I originally built this PC). I was crashing multiple times a week and now I've been rocking 0. Maybe give that a shot if you haven't already? All I did was install the bios file from a flash drive and all the updates from the Gigabyte App Center. I see you have a gigabyte mobo as well, so maybe there's some connection for you there. Hope that helps and best of luck swimmin' out of low priority!

TRENDING THREADS