[SOLVED] Pc crashing during or after boot.

Dec 31, 2018
So I recently updated my GPU from a r7 240 to a gtx 1050 and ever since then I can’t seem to startup and use windows. I am able to go into safe mode perfectly fine though. I upgraded my psu just this week so that cannot be the culprit. Whenever I did upgrade it allowed be to sit on the desktop for almost a minute before yet again force rebooting. The Disk drive was at 100 percent at idle so I hope it is not a motherboard failure. I tried reinstalling windows and deleting everything but it crashed as I was doing it. I do not understand. My mouse also always disconnects at the same time. I have 2 x 4 gb ddr3 on a ga-78lmt-s2 I use an AMD FX 4300. I use a 450 watt psu.

Solution
Yes, you can remove drivers while in safe mode. I would:
1. Go to add and remove programs and remove anything from Nvidia (also anything from AMD)
2. Go to device manager, find you graphics adapter, right click and select uninstall ... then reboot.

Some people like to use programs like CCleaner ... I'm not a big fan because I'm a control freak. Do your own research and decide if that is a route you want to go.
If you can get into safe mode without any problems, then issue is software, not hardware. My guess is the drivers for the new video card got corrupted somehow. Go into safe mode and uninstall the drivers for the gtx 1050. While you are there, uninstall the drivers for the r7 240 also (if you have not already). Then try a normal boot and let us know if it works. You will need to reinstall drivers for the gtx 1050. I would download them directly from Nvidia. Don't use a previous download because it may be corrupted.

Dec 31, 2018
alright well I did that and it still seems to be happening. It restarts automatically for no reason when I sit on the desktop. This is after I factory reset my machine.

When you say restart ... are we talking about a BSOD, full shutdown (with message on screen "Windows is shutting down"), or a crash?

When you say factory reset, do you mean you reinstalled windows or did you do a system restore to last known good point?

You can still get to safe mode and the computer works fine while in safe mode .. yes?

Have you tried reinstalling the R7? The 1050 does draw more power than the R7, but if it was a power issue I would not expect you to crash until you started a game or something.

Dec 31, 2018

It is just a full on crash. My screen freezes for a minute then my monitor loses signal before it restarts

I also reinstalled windows completely and the issue still persists.

Some of the time as it's restarting it goes into windows repair mode and it always says it couldn't find an issue.

Sometimes my USB ports blow too as it's crashing. My mouse rgb flickers on and off before disconnecting.

Dec 31, 2018

Yes I have. I have reinstalled the old gpu and it still doesn't seem to work. I assume it may be a hard drive failure, it started happening nonstop after I installed my gpu, but even before then it did it now and again. Now I'm just stuck in a windows automatic repair loop and I can't get access to my desktop, and when I do it crashes and restarts before I can even do anything. Safe mode is the only thing my pc can do. All my drivers are up to date, says windows. But at idle my disk usage is at 100, I believe it may be a faulty hard drive but I have no idea.

If it is a hard drive from a major manufacturer, then they have apps that help diagnose problems:

WD - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en
Seagate - https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

It's worth checking, but your description of the issue does not really sound like a hard drive problem. Since you can start in safe mode, then it sounds like a software issue, but you say you reinstalled windows, so that seems unlikely. You say you replaced the PSU ... was this happening before that? What did you have before? Could this be an overheating issue?

Dec 31, 2018

I have a toshiba 1 TB HDD. And I do not believe it to be an overheating issue because my temp (•F) was just under 80 under heavy load, and before upgrading my psu, yes it occurred. It only started happening so frequent to the point of unusable after my gpu upgrade. I also clean my pc frequently so it is not a cleanliness issue. My previous psu was a 350 watt sparkle power, I Just upgraded it to a 450 watt insignia that was on sale at Best Buy. It costed 50 bucks so I don't think it's that bad. But yes it may be a driver issue. It started doing it after I installed my new gpu driver... maybe a clean reinstall of that? Do you know if I can do it from safe mode with networking?

Yes, you can remove drivers while in safe mode. I would:
1. Go to add and remove programs and remove anything from Nvidia (also anything from AMD)
2. Go to device manager, find you graphics adapter, right click and select uninstall ... then reboot.

Some people like to use programs like CCleaner ... I'm not a big fan because I'm a control freak. Do your own research and decide if that is a route you want to go.

Solution