PC crashing ever since new PSU

SantoDel

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
I recently replaced my PSU because the one I had in it was crap and wanted to replace it. I bought the Corsair TX850m and my computer seems to be crashing ever since I put it in. First, my games will crash, then the whole pc. This is 850 watts, MORE than enough for what I have. I am also using a different power cord than the one that was shipped with the PSU, idk if that makes a difference but it shouldn't since they are all the same.

New parts do on occasion fail.
Double check that your cables are all securely plugged in.

Is there a reason why you did not use the power cord that came with the psu?
You should have a properly grounded outlet for the psu to work properly.
Check the outlet for proper grounding.

If all else fails, reinstall the original psu and return the new one for a replacement under warranty.

Trev6450w

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from SantoDel : "PC crashing ever since new PSU"

Its probably a defective unit, I owned a power supply that showed symptoms similar to the ones you describe and it got worse and worse over time. Replace the PSU by contacting Corsair or where ever you bought it from.

SantoDel

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from SantoDel : "PSU Crashing PC"

I recently replaced an old, crappy PSU with a Corsair tx850m and maybe 5-10 minutes after I boot up my computer after it being off for a long time, it crashes. The after its done crashing and it reboots, its fine. I can use my computer just fine until the next time I shut it off for the night. Any help would be appreciated because its annoying to boot up my computer, waiting for it to crash, and then i can use it. (and yes, i did do a similar post before, but left out some details.)

Ralston18

Titan
Use Event Viewer to look for Error Codes or Warnings just before or at the time of the crash.

Likely to be some background process starting up or some application trying to "phone home" and update.

Event Viewer may provide some insight as to the source or cause of the crash.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Just explore Event Viewer, look around and get a sense about how the data is organized and presented.

Be aware that sometimes Event Viewer will say "no data". However, it is still collecting data and the results may appear after a couple of minutes or so.

Also right-clicking any given log entry will provide more information about that entry.

Look for patterns that correlate the crashes and log entries.