PC Crashing/Freezing in Games (Random, no BSOD)

Steelhawk

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Hello,

I've been pulling my hair out for the last couple of weeks, and I'm finally looking for some help.

I finally built myself a new PC, but I kept the following from my previous build: HDD, SSD, CPU cooler, chassis & SATA cables. Everything else is new. The previous build was completely stable.

Sometimes I can go a full day without any crashes, other times it's 10 minutes in and I get a crash, and it doesn't matter which game I play. I don't get a BSOD so I can't check any dump files, the screen simply freezes on the last frame and I can't alt+tab, alt+f4 or anything, so I have to hold down the power to switch off. It has not yet happened while outside of a game. It happens on games installed on either my HDD or SSD.

I have tried 2 different GPU's, 2 different PSU's, 2 different CPU's, I've ran memtest86+ and windows memory diagnostics, both with no errors, I've kept an eye on temps and they seem to be fine - hitting a max GPU temp of 70°C, CPU 50°C, Mobo 39°C. I've tried using CrystalDisk to check storage health, stating both my drives as being in "good" health. I've even tried switching monitors just to be sure. I've flashed the BIOS, updated chipset, LAN, audio drivers. I may have tried some more things but I'm losing track (and the will to live!)

If there's ANYTHING anyone can recommend that I try, I'm all ears. Oh, and nothing is or has been overclocked.

Here's the current setup:

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB (MSI)
CPU: i5 7600K
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz DDR4
Mobo: ASUS Prime B250M-A
SSD: 120GB Samsung Evo 840 (drivers are up-to-date, this has windows installed, drivers and a few games)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (this has everything else on)
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650w

Sorry if I've missed anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steelhawk

Prominent
May 30, 2017
One thing I have noticed, is that when I view live news on BBC or search for an image through Google images, I get a strange line running down the back of it. These are the only 2 places I've noticed it and I've never seen it before on a previous build - nothing else I do on the computer gives me any sort of visual errors like this. It could be completely unrelated, but it's worth posting just in case.

https://ibb.co/bCREqv
https://ibb.co/hVk7Av

Bakkie

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
I am truly puzzled as why the lines don't go across the entire screen in the foreground; the cheese goes in front of the line!
This surely must be some sort of weird software/driver related problem.
Or wizardry.

Steelhawk

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Tolis: I just checked by your recommendation, and there doesn't seem to be anything untoward.

Bakkie: Wizardry is the only logical explanation at this point!

Steelhawk

Prominent
May 30, 2017
So the last thing I did, around the time of making this thread, was change the "DRAM Frequency Ratio" in bios. It was by default set to 100:133 and I changed it to Automatic. So far, I have had no crashes so fingers crossed that has fixed the problem. The lines behind certain images still exist however, so that "issue" is probably unrelated.

If I suffer any further crashes, I will report back, however until then, we can consider this resolved. Hopefully this may help someone else in the future.

Cheers!

Steelhawk

Prominent
May 30, 2017
So since I last posted here, I've received random game crashes here and there, but the PC itself stayed on. I would say 1-2 crashes of games per day. However, the last week has been a different story with it seemingly going back to causing the whole PC to crash. I've just had 3 in a row in the space of 30 minutes and it's really starting to bug me - my specs are great but the machine is essentially a workstation in its current condition. Drivers for every common problem have been wiped clean and reinstalled multiple times, and never have I seen a single BSOD so error dumps are never visible.

Can motherboards cause these sorts of issues? That's the only thing I don't really know how to test, but I would assume if it was a motherboard issue, it would cause problems outside of games as well (where I have no issues).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 12, 2019
So since I last posted here, I've received random game crashes here and there, but the PC itself stayed on. I would say 1-2 crashes of games per day. However, the last week has been a different story with it seemingly going back to causing the whole PC to crash. I've just had 3 in a row in the space of 30 minutes and it's really starting to bug me - my specs are great but the machine is essentially a workstation in its current condition. Drivers for every common problem have been wiped clean and reinstalled multiple times, and never have I seen a single BSOD so error dumps are never visible.

Can motherboards cause these sorts of issues? That's the only thing I don't really know how to test, but I would assume if it was a motherboard issue, it would cause problems outside of games as well (where I have no issues).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
I am also modifying a previous build, and am running into the exact same issue.

Did you figure it out? I have done everything you tried in this thread
and was hoping there was something else I can try.