ormey9

Honorable
Nov 19, 2015
I built my PC about 5 years ago. About a year and a half ago, things started going haywire. No matter what I am doing, whether it's light browsing, or gaming, here are the issues that occur:

Every once in a while when I power on my pc, my monitor won't display any video but my pc otherwise starts up as normal.
My PC will randomly freeze and then either reboot on its own or sometimes it just stays frozen, unresponsive, until I manually reboot.
My PC will randomly freeze for a second, then screen turns off for a second, and comes back on and seems to "recover".

I've eliminated my hdd and cd drive from system, no errors from memtest after 10 passes, pc is quite clean inside and temps seem fine, tried a clean install of win10, tried reseating ram and gpu, tried unplugging cables and connecting them again, tried my ram in different slots, tried keeping gpu drivers up to date, tried downgrading gpu drivers, still the problems persist

So my question to you is, in your eyes, what sounds like the cause of these issues? And if you have any other troubleshooting suggestions, I would really appreciate it as well.

Thanks everyone

ormey9

Honorable
Nov 19, 2015
Without any system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number), possible culprits are: CPU, MoBo, GPU and/or PSU.
Hey thanks for the response. My specs are: i5 4460, gtx 960, asrock h97 anniversary, 8GB ram, evga supernova 650 gs, pny cs1311 ssd

Aeacus

Glorious
Ambassador
any other troubleshooting suggestions
When you can boot into OS, you can rule out CPU and MoBo.

For troubleshooting: remove your GPU and plug your monitor directly to MoBo, by using your CPU's built-in iGPU. Use your PC for several days with iGPU, and look if you get any the current symptoms.

If you don't get any issues with iGPU, the issue is most likely in your dedicated GPU (GTX 960). If you still get the issues, even with iGPU, then your dedicated GPU is fine.

Another troubleshooting method to try (either before or after the test with iGPU): boot into Safe Mode and look if your PC gets the symptoms.

As far as your 3 symptoms go: 1st one points towards either MoBo or GPU, 2nd one points towards PSU and 3rd one points towards GPU.

Last edited:

ormey9

Honorable
Nov 19, 2015
When you can boot into OS, you can rule out CPU and MoBo.

For troubleshooting: remove your GPU and plug your monitor directly to MoBo, by using your CPU's built-in iGPU. Use your PC for several days with iGPU, and look if you get any the current symptoms.

If you don't get any issues with iGPU, the issue is most likely in your dedicated GPU (GTX 960). If you still get the issues, even with iGPU, then your dedicated GPU is fine.

Another troubleshooting method to try (either before or after the test with iGPU): boot into Safe Mode and look if your PC gets the symptoms.

As far as your 3 symptoms go: 1st one points towards either MoBo or GPU, 2nd one points towards PSU and 3rd one points towards GPU.
Thanks a lot. I've just now removed my GPU, and am running on the integrated graphics. One thing about these issues is that I've gone from crashing multiple times a day for weeks on end, to literally not getting a single crash in 6 months (aug 2020 - jan 2021) without changing anything as far as I know. I'll let you know if I get any crashes with the iGPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeacus

ASK THE COMMUNITY