Intel i7 quad
Motherboard: MSI 7918
RAM: 16gb DDR3
PSU: 550w
Operating System & Version: Windows 10
GPU Drivers: AMD 20.2
Chipset Drivers: No idea
Background Applications: Usual chrome steam spotify
Description of Original Problem: When playing certain games my PC screen goes black and if there's audio playing its making a jarring noise and only thing I can do is force it to turn off and turn it on again. In otherwords it's crashed. Although this doesn't happen with all games at first I thought it was just higher graphics games but it does it on house flipper and xcom 2 but then doesnt do it on ARK or the sims. Most indie games work fine though. Some games it happens as soon as you load it up e.g GTA V wont get passed 2 mins of loading. Some will play for a bit and then do it e.g Xcom 2 I can play about 1 mission before it does it.
Troubleshooting: Wiped my computer and reinstalled all drivers several times. Done the Furr test (this after a while also crashed my computer), Cried
OCCT
107507 errors :(
If this is a suspected hardware fault with my GPU could you guys also recommend a upgrade for it one that would work on my PC and doesn't break the bank. Thanks in advance x

Solution
If properly ruled out, I'd agree on your conclusion of a bad GPU as the most likely component having the issue.

However - I cannot say that with full confidence (there will always be a chance that the motherboard is the faulty part), you simply have to either buy a new one to test, or you can try testing your GPU in another computer if you have access to such.

One thing you may not have tried yet: Try installing an older GPU driver version, just to se if that makes the computer responds differently.

JodeToad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2015
Yeah the problem has been around a while, since the issue started I've upgraded my RAM so pretty sure it's not that Timetec Hynix IC DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Non ECC Unbuffered 1.35V/1.5V Dual Rank 240 Pin UDIMM Desktop PC Computer Memory Ram Module Upgrade (16GB(8GBx2)) is the full name of RAM. EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS is the PSU. I noticed the issue after I Reset my PC had a lot installed and it was the easiest option. Saying that I can't confirm or deny that is what caused it as I was playing a lot of indie games then that as I've mentioned doesn't cause the crash but also not saying it isnt that.

I'd recommend you go to the MSI web page and see if you can find a compatibility list to see if tha particuar ram modules are guaranteed to be supported. OR you can visit Timetec webpage to do the reverse check.

You also could perform a memory test using Memtest86+ (the version that ship with certain Linux distros (Ubuntu, Mint, etc..) may be newer than the one found on the web site)

If properly ruled out, I'd agree on your conclusion of a bad GPU as the most likely component having the issue.

However - I cannot say that with full confidence (there will always be a chance that the motherboard is the faulty part), you simply have to either buy a new one to test, or you can try testing your GPU in another computer if you have access to such.

One thing you may not have tried yet: Try installing an older GPU driver version, just to se if that makes the computer responds differently.

Solution