Question PC Crashing help

Nov 16, 2020
Hey guys,

So this weekend while trying to do some gaming, my PC started crashing. No BSOD, just screen going black then an instant restart, or black screen, all fans and on board rgb led staying on, but totally unresponsive, and requires turning PSU switch off-on to reboot (holding power button, reset button or ctrl-alt-del not working). Now last year about a year ago I had a similar issue, but only during CoDMW, ended up being my 14yr old PSU dieing. It would fail and crash after less than 5min of OCCT PSU testing. After swapping to a Seasonic Focus gx650 all issues were cleared up.

So now having similar issues, I began diagnosing. No crash logs from WhoCrashed. Event Viewer had kernal-power faults, and a group of other various windows errors. So I did a DDU Uninstall of video drivers, tried the newest AMD drivers (20.11.1), didn't fix it. So I tried going back to my old ones (20.1.3, and the even older ones I had that were stable previously, 19.17, all clean installs with DDU), didn't fix anything. I updated BIOS, clean installed audio drivers and headset drivers. Ran Memtest86+. Ran sfc/scannow and DISM repair. All of this cleaned up the other errors from Event Viewer, but still the crashes remained, setting kernal-power faults, but still no crash logs. So I ran OCCT PSU test. Temps were ok while stress testing (ryzen 5 2600x maxing out at 70c after a long time at 100% load, rx580 maxing at 81c after prolonged stress testing). I ran this several times, it crashed once out of the 3 times after about 25-30 minutes. I usually stopped the tests around that time. During the tests, the 3 and 5v lines would be rock solid, a fluctuation of .01-.03v on the lines. The 12v line would fluctuate from about 11.81v-12.35v in as little as 5-10min into the test. Would that point to a PSU issue?

Games tested that all crashed, Apex Legends (anywhere from 10min in to 35-40min in), R6Siege, CoDBOCW and MW. All lasting about the same time between crashes. They started during BOCW, then I switched to MW, same issue. So I went back to Apex and Siege, which had been flawless for me for as long as can remember (even during the previous PSU failure) and those were crashing too.

Ryzen 5 2600x
ASUS B450F Gaming
16gb Corsair ddr4
120gb Intel SSD/1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD
XFX RX580 8GB
Seasonic FOCUS GX650
Win10 Pro 64bit

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2020
Well an update. Grabbed a new PSU, swapped that in, issue still persists. Ran the PSU stress again, went through the whole hour. Ran some GPU tests, passed no errors. Ran Memtest86+ again but overnight this time, no errors after 6.5 hrs. Thinking Motherboard now. Come to think of it its been locking up like this (requiring a psu turn off) intermittently while in sleep mode these past 6mo. Didnt think much of it. Gonna either swap in a Strix B550F gaming, or maybe an MSI mobo. Any thoughts?