[SOLVED] PC Crashing in a random and bizarre way [video included]

Apr 6, 2021
View: https://youtu.be/6UwscADS2v8

Okay so I built my PC back in 2017, havent changed anything except for the SSD. This problem started a few months ago, well into lockdown. I'm using my PC as normal, all of a sudden it freezes, for about 5 to 10 seconds, sometimes the audio thats running in the background keeps running, most of the time it does not. This happened once while I was on a Discord call, so I check on my other device whether I was still in the call or not, and I was not, so I have to assume my PC "shut down"

Things I have tried:
  • I thought it was a problem with the HDD I had, so I replaced it with a fresh SSD.
  • I ran memtest86 to check on the RAM, it found no issues. (it didnt crash at that time which could possible mean something)
  • I reassembled my PC, making sure all the cables are tight just yesterday, and it has already crashed twice since then.
  • I unplugged and changed the ports of my Monitor around
  • I was using a PS3 Eye webcam, when the problem started, I uninstalled the drivers, replaced the webcam and everything
  • I've reset, reinstalled, re-reset, and re-reinstalled Windows 10
  • I've done fresh installs of every driver available, including the BIOS
  • I once accidentally left The Talos Principle on and running overnight totaling about 12+ hours (I was playing beforehand) and the next morning it didnt crash, it was running perfectly.
  • I monitored the temps, sometimes it crashes at 40C, sometimes it crashes at 60C
  • suspect the network card but I dont know how to test it out because the crash is unpredictable
All in all, there is no pattern that I can think of, and I really hope I dont have to replace any parts. They're all out of warranty afaik. There isnt even a BSOD or an error code I can refer to and its frustrating.

Solution
Okay this is really weird, I was in my BIOS and it froze up then and there. Does this still mean that the PSU is at fault or could it be the motherboard?
Oh damn, that could actually be your motherboard then. The PSU only generates like 10W when in BIOS, so it wouldn't make sense to point fingers at the PSU at that point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it happen in safe mode?

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
if not, can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

what are all the parts in the PC? USB wifi card?

Apr 6, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/a/SQepNi6

So this is what comes up in Driverview, I started the PC in Safe Mode with Networking, and downloaded the software and uploaded the screenshot, I'll keep like this for a little bit am get back if it crashes.

As for the Parts, my specs are in my signature, and the wifi card is a Gigabyte GC WB867D-I and the PSU is a Corsair VS550

I also have a Wacom One connected that I'm using as the mouse right now since the only mouse I have is a bluetooth one

Apr 4, 2021
View: https://youtu.be/6UwscADS2v8

Okay so I built my PC back in 2017, havent changed anything except for the SSD. This problem started a few months ago, well into lockdown. I'm using my PC as normal, all of a sudden it freezes, for about 5 to 10 seconds, sometimes the audio thats running in the background keeps running, most of the time it does not. This happened once while I was on a Discord call, so I check on my other device whether I was still in the call or not, and I was not, so I have to assume my PC "shut down"

Things I have tried:
  • I thought it was a problem with the HDD I had, so I replaced it with a fresh SSD.
  • I ran memtest86 to check on the RAM, it found no issues. (it didnt crash at that time which could possible mean something)
  • I reassembled my PC, making sure all the cables are tight just yesterday, and it has already crashed twice since then.
  • I unplugged and changed the ports of my Monitor around
  • I was using a PS3 Eye webcam, when the problem started, I uninstalled the drivers, replaced the webcam and everything
  • I've reset, reinstalled, re-reset, and re-reinstalled Windows 10
  • I've done fresh installs of every driver available, including the BIOS
  • I once accidentally left The Talos Principle on and running overnight totaling about 12+ hours (I was playing beforehand) and the next morning it didnt crash, it was running perfectly.
  • I monitored the temps, sometimes it crashes at 40C, sometimes it crashes at 60C
  • suspect the network card but I dont know how to test it out because the crash is unpredictable
All in all, there is no pattern that I can think of, and I really hope I dont have to replace any parts. They're all out of warranty afaik. There isnt even a BSOD or an error code I can refer to and its frustrating.
The stuttering kind of gives me an idea of bent pins on the CPU. Not to scare you or anything, but are you able to check that?

Also, was the computer always like this?

Apr 6, 2021
Does it happen in safe mode?

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
if not, can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

what are all the parts in the PC? USB wifi card?

Okay so it crashed again in Safe Mode this time. It survived for about 15 minutes, and then crashed, I was browsing some videos and this happened.

The stuttering kind of gives me an idea of bent pins on the CPU. Not to scare you or anything, but are you able to check that?

Also, was the computer always like this?

The computer wasn't like this before, it randomly started happening 3 years after I assembled it. I hadn't touched the CPU before that, and I did suspect a bent pin, so I checked it while reassembling and found nothing. I suppose I can take it out and upload a pic in case I missed anything though :)

Apr 4, 2021
Okay so it crashed again in Safe Mode this time. It survived for about 15 minutes, and then crashed, I was browsing some videos and this happened.

The computer wasn't like this before, it randomly started happening 3 years after I assembled it. I hadn't touched the CPU before that, and I did suspect a bent pin, so I checked it while reassembling and found nothing. I suppose I can take it out and upload a pic in case I missed anything though :)
Nah you don't have to.. This issue is very interesting.

Can you check the PSU cable and do you have another one to test? It could be either your power outlet, or the PSU itself.

What happens when you're playing games? Does the issue stay?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Quanticriver
Apr 6, 2021
Nah you don't have to.. This issue is very interesting.

Can you check the PSU cable and do you have another one to test? It could be either your power outlet, or the PSU itself.

What happens when you're playing games? Does the issue stay?

Okay so I took it apart again and checked, none of the pins are bent. I checked the internal cables of the PSU and they're all connected properly, as for the outlet, it started while connected to a UPS, but I've been using it without the UPS for the past couple weeks, and am still getting the same issue. The PC does undervolt like once or twice, but I don't think its related because most of the time I don't see the undervolting notification.

The games run perfectly till the PC crashes, but before that, it runs without stutters even

Apr 6, 2021
not many ways to test PSU

1. the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
  2. or multimeter, best way as can test under load.
  3. or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

okay so the PSU is definitely running, and as the thread says, there isnt much way to find out anything else.

and this is what the bios shows, the numbers seem to be in the range according to the link.

View: https://i.imgur.com/1qa6y5o.jpg

Does this mean that the PSU is not the issue?

I'm gonna stay in the BIOS, see if it crashes here. I think that would rule out the Motherboard right?

Apr 6, 2021
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021
I ran it again after giving it a bit of rest and now it worked perfectly
View: https://imgur.com/a/VzCCJ9f

Here are the results if it helps in any way. Along with the MSI Afterburner stats immediately after as well as the GPU-Z output

EDIT: It happened again, this time I ran the CPU Burner and the GPU burner at the same time. Right near the end it crashed.
View: https://imgur.com/a/EeVFS9u
Are you able to ask someone you know, if they have a spare PSU to test on your system?

Btw, i must say, i've never seen such information-rich post ever before. Good job

Apr 6, 2021
Are you able to ask someone you know, if they have a spare PSU to test on your system?

Btw, i must say, i've never seen such information-rich post ever before. Good job
I am not, I'll probably have to get a new PSU to test it out. Either way it'll be handy in the future I guess. Till that happens though, is there anything else I could check just to be sure that it is the PSU only and not some other part?

Also, thanks :) this isn't the first time electronics have decided to randomly game end around me so I know the cause could be literally anything XD

Apr 4, 2021
is there anything else I could check just to be sure that it is the PSU only and not some other part?
I don't think there is.. starting with the PSU is a great way to start troubleshooting, and i am very sure that its the PSU at fault here.
Also, thanks :) this isn't the first time electronics have decided to randomly game end around me so I know the cause could be literally anything XD
No problem, you must be so mentally stable to have patience like this. I don't get it lmao.

Apr 6, 2021
I don't think there is.. starting with the PSU is a great way to start troubleshooting, and i am very sure that its the PSU at fault here.

I've bought a replacement PSU, it should arrive in a couple days, if it crashes again I'll make another thread.

Well, if you want, remove the gpu. It may run without the gpu cause less stress on psu but no games then.
I tried it but the HDMI in my motherboard doest seem to be running? Like I just removed the GPU, hooked my HDMI to the port in my motherboard and turned the power on. not sure if I did it right but also, I dont know if the GPU could be the issue, because its completely random at times, its super frequent right now, but usually it would only crash like once a day, twice at worst

Reactions: Seban
Apr 4, 2021
I tried it but the HDMI in my motherboard doest seem to be running? Like I just removed the GPU, hooked my HDMI to the port in my motherboard and turned the power on. not sure if I did it right but also, I dont know if the GPU could be the issue, because its completely random at times, its super frequent right now, but usually it would only crash like once a day, twice at worst
Your CPU doesn't have an integrated gpu. You need to go into your BIOS and set your VGA to your integrated motherboard graphics card.

Go to BIOS setting > [Advanced BIOS Features] > set [Init Display First] to [Onboard]. Change [Onboard VGA] setting to [Always Enable]. Shut down computer to plug in graphics card to PCI Express x16 slot. Connect display cable to motherboard.

Apr 6, 2021
Your CPU doesn't have an integrated gpu. You need to go into your BIOS and set your VGA to your integrated motherboard graphics card.

Go to BIOS setting > [Advanced BIOS Features] > set [Init Display First] to [Onboard]. Change [Onboard VGA] setting to [Always Enable]. Shut down computer to plug in graphics card to PCI Express x16 slot. Connect display cable to motherboard.

Okay this is really weird, I was in my BIOS and it froze up then and there. Does this still mean that the PSU is at fault or could it be the motherboard?

Apr 4, 2021
Oh damn, that could actually be your motherboard then. The PSU only generates like 10W when in BIOS, so it wouldn't make sense to point fingers at the PSU at that point.

Solution