Question Pc crashing need to restart my psu manually to start pc again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2022
just upgraded my cpu from 2700x to 5900x started to get tons of crashing and no boot, cant enable docp on the lastest bios of my asus crosshair vii hero after getting trying to fix the problem for 1 week i bought a new cpu still the same problem so tryed 7 earlier bios update and finally settled on 4007 and that seemed to fix the docp problem and restarts but recently as i started playing cod mw 2 warzone my pc just crash and i need to manually on and off the psu to start the pc again otherwise the power button doesnt work and just to let u know the crash mostly happens when i play cod and use google chrome at the same time

pc specs-
5900x
asus crosshair vii hero (4007)
32gb 3200mhz g skill
2060 msi
750 watt psu gold 80+

and the temps are all below 70 on cpu & gpu even at high load

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022
If you by this means you need to cut main power for a moment, this indicates faulty PSU.

However - I advice you actually testing the voltages before you try to conclude.
just to give u more context i had my 2700x for 3 years and never had any problem like this and i just upgraded to 5900x 1 month ago
updated the bios from 2303 to 4901 and i couldn't run the xmp profile it was showing bios screen and then crash (crash means just power off directly) i have to manually restart the psu to power the pc again and even without the xmp, the pc would run stable when i did cinebench and prime86 but when i play any game with high load like new world it would just shutdown and need to restart psu again but after downgrading my bios to 4007 i was able to play new world and other games but recently as i started playing cod the shutdown came back and only happen in case of cod
and just to let u know i tried to run my 2700x again and it would run perfectly fine no crash no nothing so i dont think its a psu issue.(tdp on both 2700x and 5900x is same)
i think there is something wrong with the cpu power managment (bios) its undervolting or overvolting causing psu to shutdown to prevent the pc from going faulty.

Nov 28, 2022
Nov 28, 2022
I recently (last week) had same problem, it turned out that 12v branch in PSU was faulty (overheating) , new PSU fixed it.
can u describe your problem plz i would be a big help if its not too much problem for you.
i would like to be sure before i change my psu dont have money rn to spend on the pc but if is absolute that psu is the culprit i could go for a new psu
and can u tell me how did u find out that it was the 12v branch that was faulty and how can i check.

Last edited:

Joe Gallo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2015
Here’s what I’d do as quick checks.
Check your ram on your mobos qvl list.
Make sure all connections are firmly in place.
Download the newest bios, then reinstall windows and reinstall the newest bios.
Reinstall all the latest drivers off manufacturing websites.

Nov 28, 2022
Here’s what I’d do as quick checks.
Check your ram on your mobos qvl list.
Make sure all connections are firmly in place.
Download the newest bios, then reinstall windows and reinstall the newest bios.
Reinstall all the latest drivers off manufacturing websites.
i have done all these things when i started having this issue

According to this, a 2700x will draw about 104 watts during a package power torture loop.

Power Consumption - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Review: Redefining Ryzen - Tom's Hardware | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

However according to this link the 5900x will draw during an AIDA test about 133 watts, and 158 watts with PBO enabled. What could be happening is that if your PSU was borderline overloaded/aging, that the new 5900x pushed it over the top.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and Ryzen 9 5900X Power Consumption, Efficiency, Thermals - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and 5900X Review: Zen 3 Breaks the 5 GHz Barrier | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.