[SOLVED] PC crashing on demanding games and even chrome

Nanookie

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
I've had my PC for over 4 years by now and I've never ran into any issues like this before. Whenever I play any demanding games such as Scum/GTA V/Tekken 7/COD Warzone/Battlefield 4 or even play videos on Chrome, my PC runs into random crashes. There's no BSoD or any type of error message whatsoever. It just goes dead and restarts. Heaven Benchmark on Extreme settings triggers the crash everytime, while other benchmarks like Kombustor/Aida 64 run smoothly. I've checked CPU/GPU temperatures and It doesn't seem to be the problem. I've speculated the GPU could be damaged but I couldn't trigger the crash when testing it on another system. I tried everything I've seen online (reinstalling drivers with DDU/formatting/etc) and nothing helped. I sincerely have no idea on what's causing the crashes.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 DDR3
CPU: i5 6600 3,3 GHz
CPU Cooler: Stock
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming 8G
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (Dual Channel)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD + Seagate 1TB HDD
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
Case: NZXT Noctis 450
Monitor: MG248Q 1080p @144hz

Solution
If it crashes without the gpu, its not the gpu. The psu is the most likely culprit followed by the motherboard. I doubt its the ram, but you can run memtest just to rule it out if you care to.
Try running the system without the gpu or with a different gpu if you have one.
Personally, I'd lean to the psu being the culprit as I've had that model before and it would randomly crash and restart with any gpu that had a pci-e connector.
You may still have warranty on it if you want to try an rma. IMO, the s12II is too outdated to recommend continued use anyways.

Nanookie

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
Try running the system without the gpu or with a different gpu if you have one.
Personally, I'd lean to the psu being the culprit as I've had that model before and it would randomly crash and restart with any gpu that had a pci-e connector.
You may still have warranty on it if you want to try an rma. IMO, the s12II is too outdated to recommend continued use anyways.
I've tested it without the gpu and it also randomly crashes, but not so often. I haven't tested it with another gpu yet. Maybe it is the PSU, idk.

Nanookie

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
use occt and try to stress test psu for about 10 min take note of voltages before and on test if psu fail test you might need another .
Just downloaded OCCT. I'll run the tests and post it here.
My PC recently crashed several times while moving stuff from my SSD to the HDD. It also sometimes crashed instantly after restarting and logging in. Something I noticed that causes the crash is when there's a peak in VRAM usage (chagning a game from low to high settings or loading a new level).