Question PC crashing randomly to black screen and case buttons unresponsive

luce1sw

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I've had a very difficult to track issue with my pc build - it will crash with a black screen at random times. There seems to be no correlation with what the computer is doing. It has crashed before while editing a word document or while playing an intense video game. It has crashed within 15 min of boot up time or after hours of being on and playing games.

I have double and triple checked that everything is seated properly (especially the GPU and RAM) and have replaced the PSU - no dice. Everything in the PC is basically brand new except a DVD drive, and a HDD that is used a secondary data drive (main OS is installed on a brand new SSD).

I think it's a mother board issue because when it does black screen holding down the power button or pressing the reset button has no effect and I have to manually switch the PSU on and off to get it to run again. Also, the fans go to their highest setting.

I'm not sure if there are any other components that could be to blame and before I try to RMA the motherboard, I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas or issues to try. The OS does recognize the correct amount of RAM (16GB), and temps seem to be fine, both CPU/GPU are around 30 C during idle and 40-50C during gaming.

These are the PC's components:

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1660TI A6G
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2x8GB)
PSU: Corsair CX750M (750W)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS