Question PC crashing/unable to boot after installing new driver

Feb 19, 2023
I bought a new pc last week and needed to install Windows because it came without it. I installed it and it was working well with the 516.94 drivers until i tried to update my gpu driver. I updated it but didnt restart right after, instead I turned it of because I was leaving for work. When i got back home at night, tried to turn it on and it didnt, just got a black screen. Tried to turn it on again and got to the windows troubleshoot tried everything there but nothing worked, after many restarts to see what was the problem, I decided clear my disk and reinstal the windows, after many tries i was able to boot windows, do all the updates, restart the pc and everything worked until i tried to install the nvidia drivers again. It didnt even complete the installation and the pc just crashed, got stuck in the same loop of restarting and everything again. Thats when I started thinking it could be because of the drivers. After about 1/2 hours working well i tried updating the driver again but it crasehd once more. Now Ive been trying for hours to install Windows, but it wont work. When it gets to the part where the pc restarts it doesnt turn on again and gets stuck in that loop.

Any suggestions on how this can be troubleshooted would be greatly appreciated!

Specs
Ryzen 5 5500 6-Core 3.6GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M K
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB GDDR6

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I bought a new pc last week and needed to install Windows because it came without it.
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU. If it's been in service for a while or recycled from an older build, please state the age of the PSU in question. Since you're able to get into the BIOS, check and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time.

check the 2x8 power connectors to the GPU and make sure they are properly connected.
IE that one of the pins is not pressed out and the connectors are fully seated.
if it is not providing power you should get a blank screen when nvidia driver kicks in.
PCI bus would only provide 125 watts the rest of the 250w comes from the 2x8 gpu power connector.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Everyone fears the “blue screen of death.” It means your data can be lost, your files corrupted, and eventually the breakdown of your computer. If your PC keeps crashing and the blue screen keeps appearing, there are many reasons behind it.
Allthough off-topic I have to take issue with this. A BSOD does not mean that "your data can be lost", nor "the eventual breakdown of your computer". A BSOD is a protection mechanism that Windows uses expressly to prevent data loss or corruption.

BSODs happen because Windows has detected some failure that the usual error handlers cannot handle. Because this unexpected situation may put your data at risk, Windows halts the system. In order to provide the techies with clues on what caused this unexpected failure, WIndows writes a memory dump at the time of the error and displays a blue screen showing the stop code (the high level reason for the system halt). This is the Blue Screen Of Death.

A BSOD is never something you want to see, because it indicates that something is wrong in your Windows system, but neither should they be feared - because a BSOD happens in order to protect your data from further corruption.

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Boot from installer USB
  2. when you get to screen after languages, click repair this PC - don't continue install
  3. This opens a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose system restore
  7. pick the most recent one, or one from before problems started - windows is meant to create a restore point every time you update a driver.
  8. PC should restart and roll back to how it was on that date.