PC crashing under any load other than browsing

acedmeteor

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
HI i have recently upgraded most components in my pc (motherboard, PSU, CPU, GPU, and some peripherals (5.25 card reader, fan controller)) and it has caused some problems (almost all have been remedied as they were caused by a faulty PSU) but now i am left with the problem of my pc crashing under any load greater than browsing the internet and playing music (even minecraft crashes it) i am not sure what the problem is (it definitely isnt overheating as i have 5x 120mm fans and 4x 80mm fans and a HDD cooler) and at the time of crashing nothing was exceding 45 degrees (GPU, CPU, main SSD ,or any of the 5 thermometers in my PC) the GPU clock was jumping to max (1100) and then to 300 (which it sits at when idle) and the memory clock was sat at 5600 (max) (all of the settings on my gpu are stock and not overclocked at all) my components are :
GPU; Gigabyte AMD R9 270X Battlefield 4 Edition Graphics Card (4GB, DDR5, PCI-E)
CPU; AMD FX-9590 Black Edition Octa Core CPU Socket (AM3+, 4.7GHz, 16MB, 220W, FD9590FHHKWOF, Turbo Core 3.0 Technology)
PSU; Corsair CP-9020062-UK RM Series RM1000 80 Plus Gold 1000W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit
Motherboard; Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 990FX, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, 1 x eS-ATA, 2 x USB 3.0, Socket AM3+)
any help greatly appreciated

Solution
if you only restored program files it would definately cause problems because most programs store data in other folders as well as the programs files folder. i have a feeling doing a clean install will fix the issues/

try doing a FULL backup or just backup music, documents, videos, pictures, and save files from programs that can be reused (example: a video edit file you can re-open after re-installing the video editing program, or a configuration file for xpadder, or a saved game file from a video game that you can load after re-installing the video game)

a44arana

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Have you checked your error log in the event viewer? What kind of crash is happening, does it give a blue screen or does the power just shut off and the pc restarts?

if there is no blue screen, check your error log for a kernal failure, this could mean that you have a second faulty psu.

acedmeteor

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

when it crashes the screen just freezes and doesnt recover., i have to press the reset button on my pc.
as for errors i have: source SideBySide event id 33 source windows update client event id 20 source service control manager event id 7001

a44arana

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
if the screen just freezes, sounds like you are running out of RAM. whats your RAM size? perhaps a program on your computer has a memory leak.

side-by-side errors can be very tricky to remedy. i still have issues with one of my system not being able to install some programs and giving side-by-side errors when trying to run them.

have you recently installed new programs? try to uninstall them and see if the freezing continues.

windows update client error could be a number of things from virus, to your windows not being genuine. hard to tell, but it seems like your windows update is failing with updates (most likely one or two), im not sure this is causing the freezing issue.

service control manager error is bad, this starts services and driver services and if this is failing you it could cause a range or problems for your system. im not that experienced but this could be the culprit.

you could try running sfc /scannow to see if windows is corrupted.

Press Start | search 'cmd' | Right-click it
| open as Admin | type SFC /SCANNOW

acedmeteor

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

i have 16GB of ram so im not running out and i doubt it is a memory leak as it crashes when i run any game which have always run fine before. as for programs i had to reinstall windows when i did all of these upgrades because it wouldn't boot in anything other than recovery mode. the windows update error is most likely that my pc says it isn't genuine but i am going to sort that out with Microsoft help desk later. as for trying sfc /scannow ill try that later as i am not home until late today, thanks for your suggestions.
UPDATE: i have tried sfc /scannow and that crashed my pc i also ran it to a crash with a monitor running and ram was only 30% used at time of crash and CPU was at 31% HDD was at 0% and network (irrelevant) was at 3%

acedmeteor

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

i cant restore to before the freezes were happening not because i dont have a recovery point (i have a full backup) but before i was having the problems was before i upgraded the components and upgrading them all at once meant that windows didnt recognize the system and wouldnt boot (only into recovery mode). my plan now is to list all my programs and reinstall windows (yet again) and reinstall them all proporly rather than doing a partial backup restore (of just program files (my conclusion now is that this must have caused the problem))

a44arana

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
if you only restored program files it would definately cause problems because most programs store data in other folders as well as the programs files folder. i have a feeling doing a clean install will fix the issues/

try doing a FULL backup or just backup music, documents, videos, pictures, and save files from programs that can be reused (example: a video edit file you can re-open after re-installing the video editing program, or a configuration file for xpadder, or a saved game file from a video game that you can load after re-installing the video game)

Solution