[SOLVED] PC crashing under heavy GPU load

jonathanrobmo

Reputable
May 14, 2018
I've recently upgraded some components in my PC and now I'm having problems where it crashes as soon as Heaven benchmark loads the first scene, as well as when I start running graphics intensive games.

specs:

mobo: ASUS Prime Z390-P LGA 1151 (installed a month ago)
cpu: i7-8700
gpu: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X (just installed)
psu: EVGA 850 BQ (just installed)
ram: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (tested with memtest86, no errors)

I've read that issues like mine are likely due to a problem with the PSU but mine is brand new and 850 watts should be more than enough for my system.

One small note is that when installing the PSU and GPU, the PSU had one 8-pin PCI-E coming out of it, then it has some ports on the side for additional cables: Perif, VGA, SATA, and CPU2. My 3080 requires two 8-pin connectors so I plugged in the one coming out of the PSU (labelled PCI-E) and another labelled VGA going from the VGA port on the side of the PSU to the GPU. I assume that is correct but it may be worth mentioning.

Solution
Have you done a clean install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU?

What components did you recently upgrade, exactly, and did you do a clean install of Windows at any point after changing hardware?

jonathanrobmo

Reputable
May 14, 2018
Have you done a clean install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU?

What components did you recently upgrade, exactly, and did you do a clean install of Windows at any point after changing hardware?

Thank you very much, I actually just did that before seeing your reply and it seems to have solved the problem. I don't know if it was going from a Zotac 1080 FE to a MSI 3080 or perhaps because the last driver update I installed took me all the way from 450-something to the current 515.16 but as I said, that did the trick.

alexbirdie

Respectable
My 3080 requires two 8-pin connectors so I plugged in the one coming out of the PSU (labelled PCI-E) and another labelled VGA going from the VGA port on the side of the PSU to the GPU. I assume that is correct but it may be worth mentioning.

I never owned an EVGA-PSU, but did a quick look on their homepage.

I am not 100% sure about that, but it looks like as if it is OK to use the VGA-PSU-output for the second cable.

With the current infos it might be a PSU ( perhaps cable) error or the GPU is not OK.

But some further tests should be performed ( 3Dmark , AIDA64 etc.) and hardware should be monitored with HWINFO to check temps, voltage etc. of your components.