pc crashing unexplained

jamiemcnab1103

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
okay so ive had an issue like the title explains. I have upgraded my cpu and my bios that is all. I have tried memtest86 to test my ram, and it came back with no errors. I have also stress tested the gpu to see if that would give any indication and that also came back normal. a friend has also came in through team view and done a lot of checks on the HDD incase it was that which was my intital thought. we both feel this may not be the case, I have switched the HDD and DVD sata cables to new ones. I have also tried switching the ram slots, taking one out and testing each seperatly. the issue seems to be that when I download a game from steam it freezes up also with other downloads as well so it isn't just an issue with steam. I don't really know what else to try. my specs are

Athlon x4 860k (upgraded from a6 6400k)

Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-DS2 ( I have updated the bios to version f5)

I have a CM evo 212

Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (stock)

corsair cx600

Western Digital Blue 1TB

any ideas what could be causing this would be great. I have done a fresh restall and still have this issue :(

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Could be a number of things, have you upgraded the mobo drivers to latest versions? Also if you have a different PSU or could borrow one, might try that, the CX series of PSUs is poor, they use weak caps and the jump from a 65 watt CPU to a 95 Watt may be causing problems, (it shouldn't, but with the CX series have seen this happen on a minor upgrade before)

jamiemcnab1103

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

I have done the fresh install and got all up to date drivers. I don't have a spare psu or can get my hands on one just now, I have noticed though that when I try and play games that the crash usally happens within about 5/6 mins of playing. so could the cpu be throttling causing the crash, I understand that there could be many things wrong here and I have also thought about the psu being a possiable issue. I will try and get the psu as early as next week

jamiemcnab1103

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

I have done the fresh install and got all up to date drivers. I don't have a spare psu or can get my hands on one just now, I have noticed though that when I try and play games that the crash usally happens within about 5/6 mins of playing. so could the cpu be throttling causing the crash, I understand that there could be many things wrong here and I have also thought about the psu being a possiable issue. I will try and get the psu as early as next week