[SOLVED] PC crashing upon launching game

jameyboor

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2013
Greetings, I have quite the strange problem here and Im wondering if anyone here can help me.

My specs:
PSU - Be quiet! PURE POWER 11 600W CM
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 - Solid state drive
SSD - 2x Sata Samsung SSD
Mobo - ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI)
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C18D-32GVK (32GB 3600 Mhz)
CPU - Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU - Radeon RX Vega 64

Since I've built this pc a year or so back it always had issues with stability. After a lot of troubleshooting I came to realise it was because of the bad CPU so I got a new one from AMD that seemed to have better silicone.
Still, my pc would randomly shut down and reboot. After more troubleshooting I found out a lot of people with 5000 series AMD CPUs had this problem and it had to do with BIOS issues with the new boost options.
Long story short, after months of bios updates AMD / ASUS seemed to got its things together and the crashes got less and less frequent, going down to 0.

Nowadays, everything seems to work perfectly except for certain games. 2 games in particular, I forgot the name of 1 but the other one is Blade & Soul.
After some research I've found out that the only common thing between these two seem to be that they both use Unreal Engine as their Game Engine.
Both games always crash the PC upon startup, no random mid-crashes, just startup. A ton, ton of other games seem to work fine except these.

When a crash happens I do not get a BSOD, my pc doesnt restart, there's nothing in the event viewer, it just shuts down completely and I have to switch the ON/OFF switch on the PSU myself before I can manually restart.

This seemed to me at least that the PSU is somehow failing or not being able to deliver enough wattage. So, I bought something to measure the power draw of the computer. This came out to be at 520 W at max ever.
Since the PSU is rated for 600W it didn't strike me as something that'd cause this issue then.

So I tried other things:
  • Updated BIOS again to latest revision
  • Disable any form of CPU boosts to make sure it's not the CPU & BIOS crashing like before
  • Check eventvwr for any clues (old CPU crashes would give a WHEA cache error)
  • Update GPU drivers to latest
  • Run memtest86 for 20 hours
  • Run Prime95 & Furmark for maximum power consumption of both CPU & GPU (still no crash)

At this point I'm quite clueless what it could be. The way it crashes makes it look like a PSU thing but then why wouldn't it trip upon running a super hungry benchmark?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
it just shuts down completely and I have to switch the ON/OFF switch on the PSU myself before I can manually restart.
PSU issue. Pure Power 11 is not that good and a kind of weird 12v dual rail distribution with only about 350w for the GPU. Other thing is the ACRF design on the primairy that cannot handle high GPU spikes very well.
why wouldn't it trip upon running a super hungry benchmark
A benchmark is a static load, games are dynamic.
it just shuts down completely and I have to switch the ON/OFF switch on the PSU myself before I can manually restart.
PSU issue. Pure Power 11 is not that good and a kind of weird 12v dual rail distribution with only about 350w for the GPU. Other thing is the ACRF design on the primairy that cannot handle high GPU spikes very well.
why wouldn't it trip upon running a super hungry benchmark
A benchmark is a static load, games are dynamic.

Solution