[SOLVED] PC crashing when opening certain game, PSU is to blame.

Nov 18, 2020
Hi!
I'm having a problem with my PC, when I open the game Phasmophobia (which is badly optimized) my PSU makes a whining noise and then suddenly shuts off and I have to jump the CLRTC for it to turn on again (That might be due to not having a CMOS battery installed). I've played this game a hundred times with no problems whatsoever but like 2 weeks ago I started having this issue and it happens EVERY time I run the game. Other games like Red Dead Redemption 2 run just fine, sometimes Rainbow 6 Siege crashes on startup like Phasmophobia or while playing. I borrowed another power supply unit to test the error and the game worked just fine, no whining, no crash.
I have a EVGA NEX750B Bronze, the Motherboard, CPU and GPU are all running on the hardwired cables coming out of the PSU, meaning I have the MB and CPU both on +12V1 rail and the GPU on the +12V2 rail, then I have 1 SATA connection and 1 PERIF connection on the +12V3 rail.

My setup

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: MSI Raedon RX590
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ (2x8GB) 3200mhz
PSU: EVGA NEX750B Bronze
STORAGE: 1xNVME M.2 Samgung 970EVO 500gb
1xSATA Seagate 2tb HDD
FANS: 1x120mm 3x140mm (Not sure if relevant but idk)

Do I have to get a new PSU? Or changing the rail usage should do the trick (Changing CPU to the +12V3 rail)?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Added a CMOS battery and I still need to jump the CLRTC for the PC to turn on after it crashes.

Last edited:
Solution
My first suspicion would be to look at the PSU, one for the noise, and two, because EVGA has a few excellent PSUs, and a few terrible ones.

And, they keep coming out with new models on a frequent basis.

Ideally, you would want to borrow (from another PC, from a friend, etc), a known good PSU, and see if the symptoms persist.

If you decide to buy a new one, which, based on the noise before failure, seems like the way to go, then click on the first link in my signature. It offers a good guide as to what to get, and what to avoid. It doesn't account for EVERYTHING, but it's my must-read for getting a PSU.
Nov 18, 2020
FYI the PSU is the only component left from my old PC, I've built this PC around February but the PSU must be at least 4 years old and I used it pretty intensively.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My first suspicion would be to look at the PSU, one for the noise, and two, because EVGA has a few excellent PSUs, and a few terrible ones.

Ideally, you would want to borrow (from another PC, from a friend, etc), a known good PSU, and see if the symptoms persist.

If you decide to buy a new one, which, based on the noise before failure, seems like the way to go, then click on the first link in my signature. It offers a good guide as to what to get, and what to avoid. It doesn't account for EVERYTHING, but it's my must-read for getting a PSU.

Solution
Nov 18, 2020

Thanks! As ive mentioned in my post i tried my brothers PSU and there was no issue. I will have a look at your guide and see what PSU fits my needs.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh, right, I missed that. That confirmation then really nails it.

Unfortunately, the pandemic has sent the prices of good PSUs upward. Still, with the holiday sales starting to come about, you might be able to find a good one at a somewhat reasonable price.

Nov 18, 2020
The post you created is really useful but unfortunately the country I live in has little to no options when it comes to PC parts. The two I've come across that caught my eye and are between my price range are Corsair CV550 or Gigabyte PB500, which one do you recommend?

In case you don't recommend any of them for a gaming PC please tell me as well.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I didn't actually create the guide. I can't speak for the PB500, but the Corsair VS, while generally good for an office PC, won't survive the rigors of heavy gaming on a PC with a power-hungry add-in video card for long.

The second link in my signature has a few other recommendations, sort of the "if you HAVE to keep costs down, these should do it" but with caveats/cautions.

That said, what country are you in? Are there particular websites you can order from?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Of the models I've seen listed (and I am NOT one of the experts here), using my reference, the only one I would be comfortable recommending is this one:

Unfortunately, it's at $175, which is over your $150 limit.

850W is more than your system needs. If they had a Seasonic Focus that was 650W, that would be plenty, or even 550W should do it with your system. The Seasonic Focus/Focus Plus is an excellent PSU - it's a shame that there aren't any listings for it below 850W.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it's still a very good unit, since there's no problem with having more capacity than you need, and would last for years to come, likely even being used in whatever your next system build would be in the future. It's just that the higher wattage also makes the price higher.

Last edited:
I do recall the EVGA NEX models having issues, and they are very dated, as well.

RX590 is a serious power hog, so I would not cheap out on a replacement. CV550 and PB500 are both group regulated, so those are not a good choice.

The SeaSonic King_V recommended is a good choice. The only cheaper unit I would say is acceptable is the Cooler Master MWE 650w Bronze, however I wouldn't reccomend it since it is the older version and not the V2.