Question PC crashing when playing certain games

funny_bruh

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
I've been having problems with my PC crashing for a while now. Whenever I play certain games, such as Ghostrunner, Battlefield 1, God of War or STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order, my monitors lose signal and my PC weirdly crashes. I say weirdly because my PC stays on, but my monitors don't get any signals from the PC and the cooling fans start spinning at maximum RPM-s. After this the PC requires a manual restart to fix it. Not all games trigger these crashes, it's more "demanding" games that cause the crashes. I was convinced that it was my GPU-s fault, but I'm not so sure anymore. I can play Cyberpunk 2077 just fine and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (2022) runs on high settings without crashing. Sometimes (more often when playing Ghostrunner), my PC crashes while the game is simply running in the background. Usually I can play for a little while before the crash but on very rare occasions I can have a multi-hour gaming session without crashes. I've monitored my temps while gaming and neither my GPU or CPU has hit above 70°C under load. I also haven't made any adjustments to my PC, such as overclocking.

My PC specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
RAM - 2x8GB XPG GAMMIX D20 DDR4
MOBO - ASRock B450 Steel Legend
GPU - ASUS Radeon RX 570 Strix
BOOT DRIVE - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD
PSU - SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold
OPERATING SYSTEM - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Lutfij

Titan
^
Same thread, only last year, 6 months ago. Did you manage to get a replacement PSU borrowed from a friend or neighbor to see if the issue was indeed with your PSU? Since it's build, how old is the PSU at this point of time?

ASRock B450 Steel Legend
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

funny_bruh

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
I got a new PSU shortly after the previous post and the issue still remains. I was using a very old Corsair GS600 and now I have the SeaSonic PSU mentioned in the post. I am on BIOS version P3.40

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
You may want to confirm you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. You can get them through AMD's website. Same with bios.

If that doesn't work you may want to consider researching DDU driver uninstall and go through that you confirm it's not software related.

funny_bruh

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
You may want to confirm you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. You can get them through AMD's website. Same with bios.

If that doesn't work you may want to consider researching DDU driver uninstall and go through that you confirm it's not software related.

I used DDU to reinstall my display drivers, I updated my MOBO chipset drivers and BIOS, but the issue still sadly remains.

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
You haven't had any power outages recently, have you?

I'm going through the same thing. Today I ran the Heaven benchmark/stress test for 1 hour and everything was fine. 58 degree max temp on the GPU. I shut the benchmark down. Temps dropped to 30. I opened Chrome and it black screened.

I completely wiped the drive and did a fresh install of Windows. When it was finished installing, I plugged in my ethernet cable and it black screened.

Then I pulled out my previous GPU and put it in the rig and proceeded to play games for 6 hours with no problems.

But before you throw in the towel on the GPU, reseat everything; the RAM, the GPU...double check that all the cables are in tight. Make sure the rig isn't caked with dust. Run Memtest86 to rule out the RAM. Try a CPU stress test.

Type "reliability" into the search bar and look at the reliability history and see what your critical errors are.

Also, run command prompt as administrator and type in "sfc /scannow" and hit enter. There's a space between "c" and "/".

If none of that works and you have a spare GPU lying around, put that in your rig and see if it still crashes.

jahu00

Reputable
Nov 22, 2019
I had a somewhat similar problem when I had MSI B450 TOMAHAWK and RX 5700. GPU would crash under load (randomly), 90% of the time computer would restart, sometimes GPU would recover (game would still crash), but PC would be very unstable unless I rebooted it. Replacing PSU only made reboots less frequent (not the crashes). Replacing GPU with a similar TDP one did not solve the issue (but a much lower TDP GPU did help). What ended up helping was replacing MOBO (I bought the cheapest B550 board from a reputable brand that I could find).

Another problem was crashes when not under load, but that was easily resolved be installing chipset drivers (I went months on the default windows ones).