PC crashing? when playing games.

Shane_vulg88

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
So, I've read tons of forums and posts and I have not found someone going thru something similar and if i did i tried it and failed lol. So here I am asking for help, I'll open a game and start playing then 1 monitor sometimes both gets orange squiggles ( best word i can think of ) ~~~~ across the screen orange and tan and black ect. same everytime in case that is relevant and i've been keeping an eye on the temps and they seem ok gpu never over 80 as far i could tell normally 70s, 40-50 idling depending on fan speed, 27% @ 52 Celsius cpu idles at 35ish C. I've seen cpu cores up to 70 C also while playing dota 2 or hearthstone. It doesn't seem like the PC is shutting down but not responding that's for sure I also have troubles getting it to start back up like nothing is really trying and sometimes my rgb keyboard will light up after awhile then it seems like shortly after that it will turn back on which made me think psu? it is decently old 2-3years or more? Then again the temps seem higher than they should be too could be the dust.

specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: F2 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
GPU r9 280x Pro vapor-x core clock 1100 and mem clock 1500
DirectX 12

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
can you take a picture of the screen and post to an image host then post the link here?
with displays first try a new cable, easiest thing to clear. then try the monitor on another device, blu-ray, ps3 whatever will display. if you cannot recreate the issue it sounds like the GPU may be failing, but an image would help determine that.

I would make and boot to a USB linux drive and give linux a spin, watch some videos, browse and otherwise try to tax the GPU and see if you can recreate the issue in a fresh environment. if the issue follows you to linux, new GPU time.

use rufus to extract the linux distribution to the USB and make it bootable
you can go to distrowatch.com and get a distro. I like mint with cinnamon

Shane_vulg88

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
normally it's orange squiggles left to right sometimes its black and sometimes it's this... most commonly orange squiggles left to right but it doesn't seem to be getting too hot and it takes awhile to get it to turn back on and one time my 2nd monitor stayed working which is display ported and the other one is dvi i believe and was completely not shut down and wouldn't come on

PSU is TX850

weRgv8R

http://imgur.com/a/weRgv8R

Shane_vulg88

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
the heatsink on my cpu seems to lift up i have the evo212 the big ass heatsink and fan is it supposed to move like that? or be tight? like pushing the heatsink lightly should or should not move it? I assume it shouldnt move but it doesnt seem like an overheating so could it even be relevant?

Shane_vulg88

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
it seems to kinda lean left and right a little bit? it's so big that's not normal? you're saying if you push on it a lil bit it doesnt move at all no matter what direction? i kinda feel like its always been this way and kinda assumed it was normal, i mean i built this pc years ago so it could be anything :/ i just cleaned it out and resat everything from gpu.ram,cpu ect. even power cables so yea testing now.

Shane_vulg88

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Okay so I cleaned out the case and reseated everything and got through my first game of dota and then another everything seems fine I think temps are ok, but could cleaning it really have fixed it? or is it just prolonging the inevitable? feedback please because if it's my cpu it's cyber monday for an hour or so :) or maybe its cuz the fan isn't right cuz it does have a little play it sorta rocks left or right if u put a little pressure of it which im not sure how to feel about :( thx for the help thus far i just i wish i knew what was going on! not knowing is driving me crazy!

Shane_vulg88

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
ok so I cleaned it out and it did it again, I got in a lot more than normal and when i opened the window and it was freezing outside it was better so, it seems my is hotter than my gpu or currently they are both 45 with nothing intensive just waiting in a que with dota 2 open. Cpu should be cooler generally right? It's not OC'd or anything my evo 212 seems like it rocks left to right leaving it seemingly exposed with a slight nudge? dunno if that's normal and if it is cpu do you think it's more likely just a fan/heatsink issue or the cpu itself?