Question PC crashing while playing intensive games ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zoberwarth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
If you didn't see my last post my pc has been having intermittent crashing issues. I tried reinstalling windows last night which resolved most of the errors however one still persists. Event viewer now spits out "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation" Before the system reboots. No bsod and little to no info. Leaving me with "Bug Check code 292" and some sadness. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Alot of internet searching leads me to believe its a hardware issue however I dont know what else to check.

I have now done:

-Windows reinstall

-latest drivers

-latest stable bios

-latest chipset driver

-Installed WD software all drives Healthy

The best way to get the error to happen is to play MW2 2022. Most of the time I get a crash within an hour. Under regular stress tests the pc runs fine so its not a temperature problem.

Full system
5800x

B550 mobo

32gb Kingston ram (New)

6900xt watercooled

The gpu driver almost looked like it did the trick but it then crashed at the end of the first game. Is it possible my gpu is on the way out? Is there any good way to rule it out as dying? I dont want to but if I have to buy a new card I will.
no idea, mostly I have seen video cards that would have graphics defects due to over heating.
like a line running thru the screen. (one pixel wide line)
guess I have seen gpu that the fan fell apart. (motor would spin but the fan would not)

zoberwarth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
no idea, mostly I have seen video cards that would have graphics defects due to over heating.
like a line running thru the screen. (one pixel wide line)
That's fair. Mabey ill poke around some more fourms but I have a sneaking suspicion the card is going bad. witch is a real shame with the price of a replacement lol

That's fair. Mabey ill poke around some more fourms but I have a sneaking suspicion the card is going bad. witch is a real shame with the price of a replacement lol
hopefully it is just a tuning problem. hitting the max wattage and shutting down the system

you might be able to take some load off of the card and get it to work correctly.
for example don't make the GPU process sound.
ie disable the sound support from the GPU if your monitor does not have any speaker in it. I use the sound from my motherboard, and disable my nvidia hd drivers sound drivers and the nvidia usb 3.x drivers, just to make it run cooler.

why have displayport cable or hdmi cable from the GPU process sound if there is no speaker connected.

Last edited:

zoberwarth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
hopefully it is just a tuning problem. hitting the max wattage and shutting down the system
With all the issues im almost half willing to drop a small Canadian fortune on a new card. Ill look into tuning it to at least function for now. However ive lost most hope. The next best card I have on hand is 8 years old now lol

With all the issues im almost half willing to drop a small Canadian fortune on a new card. Ill look into tuning it to at least function for now. However ive lost most hope. The next best card I have on hand is 8 years old now lol
running all those monitors at 165hz would be close to running about a 15k monitor at standard 60hz
pretty big load for one GPU. if you calculate the required number of pixels per second refresh.
I got 14788 normalized resolution if I did my math correctly

16k format is 15360 x 8640
8k format is 8192X 8192

I could see the card hitting its power limit trying to run your setup.
even going over the limit and tripping the protection.

my math:
1440 p =2560 x 1440 pixels *2 monitors at 165hz rather than 60hz + 720x480 @ 59hz

2560 pix/line *165 lines/sec= 422400 pix/sec for monitor 1
2560 pix/line *165 lines/sec= 422400 pix/sec for monitor 2

720 pix/line *59 lines/sec = 42480 pix/sec for monitor 3

one scan line has 887280 pix/sec

same as 14788 pix for 60 cycles

TRENDING THREADS