[SOLVED] Pc crashing with graphics card installed

Feb 12, 2021
I got this rx 550 and for the first couple of months, it was doing fine, but now my pc just keeps on restarting randomly. I dont know if it's my rx 550 or if it's my psu. But the person we got the pc from said that the psu is "generic" should we buy a new psu or a new graphics card? Because everytime I remove the graphics card, the pc is fine, no restarting. I need help, does anyone have an idea of what to do?

Solution
I got this rx 550 and for the first couple of months, it was doing fine, but now my pc just keeps on restarting randomly. I dont know if it's my rx 550 or if it's my psu. But the person we got the pc from said that the psu is "generic" should we buy a new psu or a new graphics card? Because everytime I remove the graphics card, the pc is fine, no restarting. I need help, does anyone have an idea of what to do?

I had a similar issue with my previous rig. I had a crappy PSU, and a Geforce 570 and the system would restart randomly. I sold that computer to my brother and the issue persisted. I let him have an old Geforce 450 I had lying around and the restart issue stopped with the new vid card, but I don't know if I...
Mar 11, 2021

I had a similar issue with my previous rig. I had a crappy PSU, and a Geforce 570 and the system would restart randomly. I sold that computer to my brother and the issue persisted. I let him have an old Geforce 450 I had lying around and the restart issue stopped with the new vid card, but I don't know if I could say that proves that the issue isn't related to the PSU... after all, a 450 draws less power than a 570 which would alleviate stress on the PSU. If I had to choose, I would suggest a new vid card but it sounds like you could probably use a better PSU as well.

I know my brother wasn't convinced that the 570 was bad and he was planning to apply new thermal paste to the GPU to see if that has any affect.

You're going to want a good PSU eventually, though. A crappy PSU can cause issues that can totally ruin a systems performance and stability. I bought many of my computer's components used/refurbished, but I bought a brand new evga 750W power supply because it's the foundation of a PC. If your PSU sucks than your entire system potentially sucks.

Solution
Feb 12, 2021
I had a similar issue with my previous rig. I had a crappy PSU, and a Geforce 570 and the system would restart randomly. I sold that computer to my brother and the issue persisted. I let him have an old Geforce 450 I had lying around and the restart issue stopped with the new vid card, but I don't know if I could say that proves that the issue isn't related to the PSU... after all, a 450 draws less power than a 570 which would alleviate stress on the PSU. If I had to choose, I would suggest a new vid card but it sounds like you could probably use a better PSU as well.

I know my brother wasn't convinced that the 570 was bad and he was planning to apply new thermal paste to the GPU to see if that has any affect.

You're going to want a good PSU eventually, though. A crappy PSU can cause issues that can totally ruin a systems performance and stability. I bought many of my computer's components used/refurbished, but I bought a brand new evga 750W power supply because it's the foundation of a PC. If your PSU sucks than your entire system potentially sucks.
Thanks for the help dude, I'll update you on what happens next.