4400_Overclocker

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hey,

When I came home today my monitor was showing the "blue screen of death." I have XP Pro. I restarted the computer and as soon as I login to Windows I get the blue screen again and then it restarts and cycles over and over again. One time it did a hard drive check and restarted but the same thing started happening again. I did not download or install anything on my computer so I have no idea why this is happening.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Specs:

Win XP Pro
x2 4400+ at 2.2
WD 10,000 RPM Raptor
EVGA 8800 GS
2 MB Corsair XMS Pro
550 W Antec
nForce 4 SLI Motherboard

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Nah, he says it happens as soon as he logs in to windows ... blatantly windows has messed up.

If safe mode works, a driver has broken and needs to be reinstalled.
If safe mode doesn't work, windows needs to be reinstalled.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Try this:

Boot to safe mode
Right-click on My Computer.
Click Advanced tab.
Under startup and recovery, click settings
Uncheck automatically reboot.

Boot in normal mode. When you get the blue screen, write down the first two or three addresses (for example, 0x00000000) and google them. If it is a windows/driver problem, you will hopefully get some hits that will help you.

GL

4400_Overclocker

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hey guys, thanks for your support so far. I needed to reinstall XP Pro but this is my current problem. I posted this under Windows XP General as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The other day, for no reason my computer got the blue screen of death after I logged into windows. It restarted right after this and continued the cycle. I reset the CMOS and was able to access Windows. I could tell that everything was totally messed up so I decided to reinstall XP Pro. Everything was going fine until the first mandatory reboot. It said installation would continue after the reboot, but while Windows was loading it crashed and restarted. Now it is continuing this cycle and I can't get past the loading phase. I don't care about data on my hard drive as I use this PC for gaming. Please help someone!

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Hmm ... one way to check the RAM for errors is this:

Download the ultimate boot cd and burn to disc:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It's basically a boot cd which takes you to a large number of diagnostic tools. Run the memory diagnostics and see if they turn up any memory errors.