[SOLVED] PC Crashing

Jan 16, 2020
Hi, I recently build a new PC and its been a month since having it but when ever I play a game like Fortnite it will randomly black screen and restart the computer some reason and I checked temps they stay at around 70 max. In the minidump no errors are shown some reason also on the reliability thing it just shows windows crashing.

Specs are
3700X
2080 Super
32GB RAM 3600Mz
850W PSU
6 case fans
SSD and HDD 1TB each

Solution
You can reset the Windows if it isn't to much trouble for you to install again all the software back together. Resetting reinstalls Windows 10, but lets you choose whether to keep or not your files.

This might solve the problem caused by software and it will save you more time than to try to troubleshoot by your own. The disadvantage with this method is that if it doesn't solve the problem then you have to troubleshoot anyways.

If you don't choose the windows reset step then following the method below might also help you fix your PC.

70 C temp CPU while you gaming it's a bit high depending your cooling system.
70 C idle CPU temp. it indicates that there is a hardware problem f.ex. with your cooling system or you might have a software...
Hi,
I will suppose the 70 max is the CPU temperature on degrees celsius.

• Does system crash happens since day 1 you built the the PC, or after some time?
  • Do you remember when the problem began? Did you installed a program before the problem occurred?
  • Do you have saved restore points to bring the system back into a previous functional state?
  • Are you using the latest O/S & drivers updates, game patches?
  • Have you overclocked your system?

Reactions: ltconquer
Jan 16, 2020
Hello,

Yes it's all degrees celsius.

1. The system crashes did not happen since day one probably after a couple of days of owning the PC maybe 14 or so.
  2. I can't remember exactly when the problem started I wish I recorded the time earliest I left the note was 4th of Jan but I know its been happening longer than that and PC was built around 20th of December or around about that.
  3. I do not have restore points sadly.
  4. I am using the latest OS also manually downloaded the driver updates also game patches are automatic.
  5. I have not over clocked its all stock

You can reset the Windows if it isn't to much trouble for you to install again all the software back together. Resetting reinstalls Windows 10, but lets you choose whether to keep or not your files.

This might solve the problem caused by software and it will save you more time than to try to troubleshoot by your own. The disadvantage with this method is that if it doesn't solve the problem then you have to troubleshoot anyways.

If you don't choose the windows reset step then following the method below might also help you fix your PC.

70 C temp CPU while you gaming it's a bit high depending your cooling system.
70 C idle CPU temp. it indicates that there is a hardware problem f.ex. with your cooling system or you might have a software problem (a malware runs at the background and eat CPU resourses).

To eliminate the latter boot your PC and open your Windows task manager then check if there is high usage of your CPU by any kind of suspicious program or service. Use your Antivirus/antispyware program and scan the O/S.

To check out the hardware part.
Take a look at the CPU fan speed while you gaming. Download a software that reports the RPM of CPU fan like speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Check also the temperature and fan speeds of your GFX card through Nvidias Geforce exp. software or the MSI afterburner. http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip

You can also stress test individually the PC parts until you find the one that causes the problem.
Do a RAM test. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut, type mdsched.exe, and click OK to launch the tool.

Download the Prime95 for the CPU. https://www.mersenne.org/download/#download

and the FurMArk for the GPU. https://geeks3d.com/furmark/downloads/

Good luck and I hope the above help you to find a solution.

Solution
Jan 16, 2020
Hi,

So my max temp is 70 it normally runs around for gaming also idle is about 58 so it never goes above 70. I done a RAM test before and it came out fine also when I run 3D Benchmark it seems to run without issue and that runs stress tests on the CPU. I think I may have to reset

Reactions: The Big Technowski
Hi there,

Then accordingly from the above CPU temperatures, we have to exclude the possibility of CPU overheating since everything are at the normal temp. spectrum. Though the Idle temp stays on the high end spectrum, again that's normal depending on the CPU cooler (stock - tower etc), CPU default power voltage values, Windows power performance (balance, high, power save) and so on.

3D Mark needs a bit of experience to use it as a stress test and the to read the results. I wouldn't bet that the GPU is the problem anyways. Usually GPU high temps throttling, cause FPS drops, weird on screen pixels, game crash and throw you into a blue screen or into desktop, freeze the system......
I don't remember if I've ever seen a GPU problem to cause to shut down and restart a computer.

So the only big suspect that remains and can cause this is the Power Supply Unit. If again we are to blame the hardware.

I think what you think Dude 🆒...
It's better to to do a Windows reset before get into PSU troubleshooting.

Nop your current PSU is more than enough. (y)

Do the Windows reset and cross your fingers to solve the prob, otherwise you will have to send your computer parts for RMA beginning with the CPU and then with the PSU.

[EDIT] Something that I forgot to mention. Check if you have the latest Bios patch. That is Version: 7C02v35
Release Date: 2019-11-11

Last edited:
Reactions: ltconquer
Jan 16, 2020
I haven't got the latest BIOS update but its a pretty new one I was told to leave it if I didn't know what I was doing. I will try the Windows Reset soon hoping it fixes it also I forgot to mention my graphics card comes overclocked it has Gaming OC on the actual card. I ran a few more tests to stress test the CPU and GPU both ran fine with no crashes what so ever load up into gameplay it for a bit and crash also the crash is not producing a minidump just in the reliability area it says Windows was not properly shut down. Another thing I noticed was my system recorded it crashed at 5.43pm and also at 5.43pm a driver update for my graphics card happend also in previous minidumps I seen that the sytem lost power maybe the graphics card lost power? The second time it crashed at 6.47pm it didn't install anything new though.