Question PC crashing

Mar 7, 2022
I recently built a new PC with half the parts from my old build but it keeps crashing randomly. Often its fine during games and I can play for a couple of hours before it crashes. Most of the time however, it crashes within about 10 minutes of starting it up.
During the crash, I will either get the blue screen of death, the picture will freeze and the keyboard and mouse will disconnect, or it will just turn off and try but fail to restart.
I have tried:
~Resetting bios
~Reinstalling drivers
~Swapping the SSD with one I know works
~Making sure everything is plugged in correctly

My build:
~Asus ROG Strix X570-i moboard (New)
~AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU (From old build)
~Cooler master sfx 750w modular PSU (New)
~Sapphire RX 590 GPU (From old build)
~Corsair 2×8GB modules 3200mhz (Old Build)
~AMD Wraith Prism CPU Cooler (Old Build)
~Corsair 2TB m.2 SSD (New)

Thermals are good, although one of the motherboard probes is incorrectly reading 90°C. I'm pretty sure this isn't the cause of the issue though.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mar 7, 2022
What is it reading 90 for?
The motherboard temperature on one of the temperature probes, but it's an incorrect reading. Seems to be quite a common issue with these boards.
I doubt it is the cause of the crashing since I can sometimes play games with it for a couple of hours without it crashing, but then I go and load up a YouTube video and it crashes

Mar 7, 2022
Did you install all the drivers and chipset drivers from the new motherboards support site? And how did you install windows on new motherboard?
Yep, all drivers installed, I think there we're about three of them. I installed Windows from a USB ( downloaded off the official windows site onto USB

Mar 7, 2022
oh boy, ok so turn off your psu button, unplug from wall, remove the cmos battery for a couple of minutes. Then replace battery, plug in to wall and turn on psu and pc. What happens?
This PC is actually cursed. I took off the CPU cooler to access the CMOS battery and the CPU came out with it. I don't know if that was the root of the problems? But I think I installed it properly so I don't know why the CPU fell out. Anyway, two pins are no bent to imma try unbend them.

This PC is actually cursed. I took off the CPU cooler to access the CMOS battery and the CPU came out with it. I don't know if that was the root of the problems? But I think I installed it properly so I don't know why the CPU fell out. Anyway, two pins are no bent to imma try unbend them.
Good luck unbending the pins. I suggest using a razor and a magnifying glass if it is hard to see. When attempting to reinstall the CPU remember to not force it because you don't know if you realigned the pins perfectly. I would make sure the the RAM is in slots 2 & 4 from the CPU socket. If they are in those locations try reseating them and then 1 at a time in slot 4. I assume the computer is in an SFX case which comes with an increased chance of case short somewhere which could be causing the issue.

i5 4690

Commendable
Aug 6, 2019
Hi
My pc keeps crashing , only if i reinstall the cpu it stable for 2 days
how do i change the CPU voltage in Biostar H81 Mobo

its in MV and dont know the value for i7-4790
i have mojave installed but only after reinstall the Cpu it stable for 2 days

the hd4600 internal graphics was the sale problem

after login it Crashes and also after 10min

My Specs:

i7 4790
Biostar H81 Mobo
Fenvi T919
Asus Gforce 710 ddr5 1Gb on (vga)
250gb Ssd
spire presice psu
2x 8Gb non ecc Ram sticks

Mar 7, 2022
Good luck unbending the pins. I suggest using a razor and a magnifying glass if it is hard to see. When attempting to reinstall the CPU remember to not force it because you don't know if you realigned the pins perfectly. I would make sure the the RAM is in slots 2 & 4 from the CPU socket. If they are in those locations try reseating them and then 1 at a time in slot 4. I assume the computer is in an SFX case which comes with an increased chance of case short somewhere which could be causing the issue.
Okay update, It's been a while. So I took the graphics card out and cleaned the connections and put it back in and it started displaying again. Then I tried to reinstall windows and it crashed half way through, corrupting it.

Someone suggested the motherboard might be incompatible with the CPU which is what was causing the crashing so I updated BIOS so it should now be compatible with my CPU. I then reinstalled windows again and I am now stuck on an infinite restart loop where it says it can't boot up to the Windows setup because it 'restarted unexpectedly'.

How do I check to see if there is a case short?
Thank you for the continued support.

Okay update, It's been a while. So I took the graphics card out and cleaned the connections and put it back in and it started displaying again. Then I tried to reinstall windows and it crashed half way through, corrupting it.

Someone suggested the motherboard might be incompatible with the CPU which is what was causing the crashing so I updated BIOS so it should now be compatible with my CPU. I then reinstalled windows again and I am now stuck on an infinite restart loop where it says it can't boot up to the Windows setup because it 'restarted unexpectedly'.

How do I check to see if there is a case short?
Thank you for the continued support.
The way you can eliminate the possibility of a short would be to build the computer outside of the case for instance in the motherboard box. This seems to me like it could be a RAM issue as well. You can dl a memtest program onto a USB and switch boot order to USB and run that with all or 1 stick of RAM at a time. I cannot remember off the top of my head what the specific RAM testing program is. I would look for resources on how to test the RAM via USB.

Reactions: Louisss84

ASK THE COMMUNITY