[SOLVED] PC Critical Process Died BSoD When Installing Programs

Feb 2, 2021
Any help is and would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey y’all, I’m just stumped over this issue I’ve been having for the past month. I have a PC that has been working perfectly fine the past few months, and this issue just recently appeared.

Whenever I download a program or game to one of my HDDs, my PC freezes. It will then show the Critical Process Died and then the screen shuts down. One time it also gave me Kernel_Data_Inpage Error with the dxgkrnl.sys message. This happened five times, and now my PC is just perma-stuck, as every time I try to boot it, it will either take me to the Advanced Repair Options screen or another Critical Process Died BsoD. I cannot even boot into Safe Mode.

Right before this happened, I ran CrystalDisk and it said all my drives were healthy. I also ran Memtest86 but it said my RAM had errors, so I swapped it out to a pair I knew was functioning. However, I still got the Critical BSoD. I do know that when I was launching a game from one of the HDDs before, it did make a high pitched sound once, but it stopped after that. Also I was installing a program onto another HDD in my PC and I could hear a frequent clicking during the installation.

Any tips or suggestions on solutions or what I should do? I am really stumped on this, as this has been happening a lot recently to me. Also no one else seems to have this problem.

Solution
critical process died is specifically talking about some Windows files, that if they crash, windows has to crash as well. There are a number of files this can be. So its not a simple matter of doing one thing. The files can be required for booting, or user services, or for running services that are required to do jobs for the user. And if you stuck at boot, there aren't a lot of choices.

What are specs of the PC? What are makes/models of the storage drives?

if the ram was bad that you removed, it may have already corrupted files ,

One time it also gave me Kernel_Data_Inpage Error with the dxgkrnl.sys
almost every time i see DirectX (dxgkrnl.sys) crash I can tell you cause was GPU drivers but if you had bad ram at one...

Colif

Win 11 Master
critical process died is specifically talking about some Windows files, that if they crash, windows has to crash as well. There are a number of files this can be. So its not a simple matter of doing one thing. The files can be required for booting, or user services, or for running services that are required to do jobs for the user. And if you stuck at boot, there aren't a lot of choices.

One time it also gave me Kernel_Data_Inpage Error with the dxgkrnl.sys
almost every time i see DirectX (dxgkrnl.sys) crash I can tell you cause was GPU drivers but if you had bad ram at one stage, all bets are off.

if you have multiple hdd, it makes recovering from this slightly less painful.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot disk

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

now what i would suggest is a clean install. Will at least tell us if the problem is just windows or something more, as if it keeps happening after a clean install its unlikely to be windows.
unplug pc and remove power from all hdd except the boot drive - win 10 will use blank space on other drives for the boot partition, or use an old one that might exist on another drive, if given the chance. This isn't always a good idea. SO only giving it one choice is best idea.
boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

once win 10 boots up fine from the new install, unplug PC and reattach the other hdd.

Solution
Feb 2, 2021

almost every time i see DirectX (dxgkrnl.sys) crash I can tell you cause was GPU drivers but if you had bad ram at one stage, all bets are off.

if you have multiple hdd, it makes recovering from this slightly less painful.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot disk

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

now what i would suggest is a clean install. Will at least tell us if the problem is just windows or something more, as if it keeps happening after a clean install its unlikely to be windows.
unplug pc and remove power from all hdd except the boot drive - win 10 will use blank space on other drives for the boot partition, or use an old one that might exist on another drive, if given the chance. This isn't always a good idea. SO only giving it one choice is best idea.
boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

once win 10 boots up fine from the new install, unplug PC and reattach the other hdd.
Here are the specs of my PC:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Thermaltake Gf1 650W PSU
32 GB 3600mhz OLoY Warhawk Premium

Storage:
Kingston 240GB SSD
WD RED 1TB 5400 RPM
Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
Seagate 500 GB RPM

What I am going to do is what you said with Windows. I will use the RAM that is functioning and reinstall Windows, and from there try to diagnose the issue. I think the main issue must’ve been the faulty RAM corrupting files

TRENDING THREADS