Question PC Dead after Bios update

Status
Not open for further replies.

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Greetings,

I tried to update the Bios of the Asus Prime B350-Plus from v3203 to the newest v4207 , using the AI Suite III.

While the installation was in progress the screen turned black, nothing was responsive. I waited for 2 hours, then I hard-reset the pc.

The pc never booted.

-The screen does not get a signal - it turns off after a while.
-I can hear all the beeps normaly.
-I can hear everything working normally (fans, HDDs etc)
-Mobo LEDs light up normally.
-Mouse has power
-Keyboard does not have power.

Of course something went bad with the bios update.

What I tried so far:

-I tried to reset CMOS (jumper pins) with and without the battery on.
-The keyboard works in a different computer / other keyboards don't work on this one-in which I believe, the pc doesn't boot properly and doesn't even get to the point to give any power to the keyboard. But why does the mouse light up?? Plus everything else seems to get power even the hdd.
-removed everything except the power supply and the motherboard (assuming it doesn't give enough power)
-I tried a different working power supply.
-change RAM slots
-removed and/or changed slots for the graphics card.

So I came to a conclusion that the bios update really messed up the chip...

Is there a way to fix it rather than buying a new motherboard?

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
the motherboard should have Crashfree Bios which with a usb stick and an updated bios file it can make it work or at least post.. but it doesn't seem to do anything I tried.

Does the USB stick need to be set up as bootable? All the guides say it only needs the bios file in. The USB stick does light up though..

and another question, even though I could not make it work, ordering and installing a new bios chip will it solve the problem instead of buying a new mobo?

Last edited:
the motherboard should have Crashfree Bios which with a usb stick and an updated bios file it can make it work or at least post.. but it doesn't seem to do anything I tried.

Does the USB stick need to be set up as bootable? All the guides say it only needs the bios file in. The USB stick does light up though..

Read how to use that feature in the manual. Follow steps precisely.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...E13723_PRIME_B350-PLUS_UM_V3_WEB_20171114.pdf

But one thing to try: do a 'battery pull' CMOS reset...where you take out the battery and reset CMOS, leave battery out for a few hours even. It may not help, but you never can tell.

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
But one thing to try: do a 'battery pull' CMOS reset...where you take out the battery and reset CMOS, leave batter out for a few hours even. It may not help, but you never can tell.

I tried CMOS reset with and with the battery on. Last night before sleep, I took the battery off, hoping it will reset when I wake up.. but no..

I am reading the link you've sent me

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
ok i've read it, it goes through the manual, which I read before and followed tha procedure. nothing seems to work.

I also want to mention again, that my keyboard doesn't power up so I cannot press any "Del" key or anything else, after putting the usb stick in with the updated BIOS, or after clearing CMOS...... something stops it before it reads the keyboard (mouse and other usb devices work)

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
yes i tried with the dvd.

I just installed a case speaker on the mobo and i got this:

after boot I got 2 sets of 3 short beeps just like: beep-beep-beep - - - - - beep-beep-beep and then nothing else

this beep code, I cannot find anywhere online or at the Asus website or manual

Last edited:
ok i've read it, it goes through the manual, which I read before and followed tha procedure. nothing seems to work.

I also want to mention again, that my keyboard doesn't power up so I cannot press any "Del" key or anything else, after putting the usb stick in with the updated BIOS, or after clearing CMOS...... something stops it before it reads the keyboard (mouse and other usb devices work)
use a PS/2 keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS