Question PC Dead? No Fans Spinning

nixon2223

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
Had the same issue 3 months ago when I upgraded the PC after unplugging and replugging cables it started working and it's had no issues since. Yesterday I noticed that the RAM was preforming poorly and both sticks were in single channel. So I moved the cpu fan, reapplied the thermal paste, mounted the fan and moved the RAM into different slots now the PC is having the same issue as 3 months ago and not starting. I have fully rebuilt it twice, tested PSU with paperclip test, tested multiple different configurations with the RAM sticks, tested with/without gpu and still no fans spinning.

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Wraith Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450 pro4
Video Card: EVGA 1070 SC
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-24000 (3000)
Power Supply: Corsair CX500M

Have you overclocked the CPU or RAM beyong the factory settings (that means for RAM going over 3000MHz)?

Have you tried to put the RAM sticks back to where they work, as Zdos123 wrote?

Have you tried 1 stick of RAM at the time, to see if both sticks are working fine?, Have you run memtest?

Do you have the latest BIOS update?

Have you tried to resetthe BIOS to its default/optimized/normal settings (I don't know how asrock calls it)?

nixon2223

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
Have you overclocked the CPU or RAM beyong the factory settings (that means for RAM going over 3000MHz)?

Have you tried to put the RAM sticks back to where they work, as Zdos123 wrote?

Have you tried 1 stick of RAM at the time, to see if both sticks are working fine?, Have you run memtest?

Do you have the latest BIOS update?

Have you tried to resetthe BIOS to its default/optimized/normal settings (I don't know how asrock calls it)?
CPU was not overclocked and I was having issues running the ram at 3000MHZ (Don't think it gave me the option in BIOS) so it was running at 2666MH. I have tried most combinations of positions with the RAM. Can I reset the BIOS without the PC booting at all? I can't even get into the BIOS.

On a side note when this issue happened 3 months ago the last thing I changed before it switch on was to plug the power into a different outlet and plug in headphones into the case.

Last edited:
CPU was not overclocked and I was having issues running the ram at 3000MHZ (Don't think it gave me the option in BIOS) so it was running at 2666MH. I have tried most combinations of positions with the RAM. Can I reset the BIOS without the PC booting at all? I can't even get into the BIOS.

On a side note when this issue happened 3 months ago the last thing I changed before it switch on was to plug the power into a different outlet and plug in headphones into the case.

You can reset the BIOS by unplugging the power cable, and taking out the CMOS battery for 5 mins (located where the manual show in pag. 7).

If you wana make really sure you can also shortcut the Clear CMOS pins the way the motherboard manual explain it on pag 27, (https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450 Pro4.pdf). If you don't have a jumper cap, simple use a screw driver with carefull only to touch those two pins (that way you clear the CMOS information (BIOS).

As shown also in pag. 7 of the manual, for dual channel configuration the 2 memory sticks you have have to instal on sockets A1-B1, or on soeckts A2-B2. As simple as insert 1 RAM stick on socket, leave the next socket empty and insert the next stick on the following socket, like this:

A1 | A2 | B1 | B2
Stick of RAM | Empty | Stick of RAM | Empty --> dual channel 1
Empty | Stick of RAM | Empty | Stick of RAM --> dual channel 2

Cheers

nixon2223

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
You can reset the BIOS by unplugging the power cable, and taking out the CMOS battery for 5 mins (located where the manual show in pag. 7).

If you wana make really sure you can also shortcut the Clear CMOS pins the way the motherboard manual explain it on pag 27, (https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450 Pro4.pdf). If you don't have a jumper cap, simple use a screw driver with carefull only to touch those two pins (that way you clear the CMOS information (BIOS).

As shown also in pag. 7 of the manual, for dual channel configuration the 2 memory sticks you have have to instal on sockets A1-B1, or on soeckts A2-B2. As simple as insert 1 RAM stick on socket, leave the next socket empty and insert the next stick on the following socket, like this:

A1 | A2 | B1 | B2
Stick of RAM | Empty | Stick of RAM | Empty --> dual channel 1
Empty | Stick of RAM | Empty | Stick of RAM --> dual channel 2

Cheers
So I have tried resetting the CMOS a few time and no luck. When the PC was working the RAM was in A1 A2, which is what I was trying to correct in the first place. I have since tried the RAM in A1 B1, A2 B2 and A1 A2, as well as trying a single stick in A1 &A2.

What would cause a system to be unresponsive? I have a new motherboard coming tomorrow

thanks