[SOLVED] PC death and new components

Sep 17, 2021
Hey all! Hope you are doing well.

Well my situation is my PC turned off and never turned back oon. I had the stuff checked and the motherboard is gone, memory has errors and CPU remains a mystery.
I bought a motherboard and it arrived today. Even though I told them what CPU I have ( its old since I bought it, what? 5 years ago? idk i5 1151) they sent me one I can not use. They told me they will exchange it or return the money.

Here is the thing.... I am actually not sure if the CPU is dead or not, if I exchange the motherboard to fit it and then it doesnt work that would be really sad. Also I dont know if it advisable to get a motherboard to fit it since apparently its old tech now and I wont be able to upgrade PC later on ( if i need to? do I need to?) I actually dont game anymore but I work with my PC and I need it to be fast. I dont do graphic design or anything but I use programs that are poorly made that are heavy on the PC.
Anyways I do like to stream concerts to one or two friends, I have a graphic card since I used to game.

My question is, should I get an older type of motherboard or a new gen of my CPU? I have an i5 6400 (maybe) lga 1151 . should i get the new gen i5 10400F (that fits new motherboard) for example? or would there be no improvement between the old gen i5 and the new one.

Ok, that is my dilema. Do I get an older motherboard to fit current CPU ( possibly faulty) or do I get new processor that may be practically the same as the one I have and just sink money there for the sake of not buying old tech board.

Thank you very much for you time. Have a nice weekend!

Solution
the motherboard is this : "ASUS B560M PLUS TUF GAMING WIFI "
the power supply only has 550w "NZXT HALE82 V2" its also 5 years old, like CPU
the card is gtx 1060 6gb (gigabyte?)
It may be worth taking the opportunity to change the PSU for a good quality unit. The NZXT Hale82 is listed as tier D on the list maintained here meaning it is recommended for cheap IGP systems.
My question is, should I get an older type of motherboard or a new gen of my CPU? I have an i5 6400 (maybe) lga 1151 . should i get the new gen i5 10400F (that fits new motherboard) for example? or would there be no improvement between the old gen i5 and the new one.

Ok, that is my dilema. Do I get an older motherboard to fit current CPU ( possibly faulty) or do I get new processor that may be practically the same as the one I have and just sink money there for the sake of not buying old tech board.

Thank you very much for you time. Have a nice weekend!
A 10400F is a pretty good choice(depending on price) as it is fairly cheap with 6 cores and hyperthreading. Your old CPU is quad-core without hyperthreading so it will be a pretty big improvement

Reactions: Why_Me and crowying
Sep 17, 2021
Ok, nice! I didn't want to spend money on something that would be the same thing. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it a lot!

For 30 more dollars there is the option of 10400kF I dont know if its worth spending more on that or not. Like I say I dont do graphic design or gaming. I just watch concerts and work on it.

Ok, nice! I didn't want to spend money on something that would be the same thing. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it a lot!

For 30 more dollars there is the option of 10400kF I dont know if its worth spending more on that or not. Like I say I dont do graphic design or gaming. I just watch concerts and work on it.
What is the motherboard you have bought? Also the make, model and age of your power supply would be useful to know, as would your graphics card.

Sep 17, 2021

Reactions: Why_Me
Reactions: crowying and Flayed
It may be worth taking the opportunity to change the PSU for a good quality unit. The NZXT Hale82 is listed as tier D on the list maintained here meaning it is recommended for cheap IGP systems.

Reactions: crowying
Solution

TRENDING THREADS