PC detecting old graphics card

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
After my old graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 6150) stopped out putting to my monitor I brought a new card (9500 GT).

I followed the installation instructions, however when I loaded up my PC for the first time with the new card and drivers XP still said I had my old card installed and that it was working correctly....no sign of the new one. (note: the old card was definatley disabled) I restarted and entered to BIOS. Bios stated that there was nothing in any of the PCI slots. I tried to disable using the onboard graphics but the only option I had under `Primary Graphics` was Auto...no way to turn it off as it should pick up the card automatically. My new card is slotted in correctly and there is power to it. as the fan is rotating. If I plug my monitor into the new card it does not output to my monitor. No matter what I seem to do it still detects my old card in display adapters)

I have a Dell Dimension C251 on XP.

Any help would be very much welcome.

Well first off uninstall any graphic drivers from the pc completely ...then restart ur PC with the video setting in BIOS set to the PCIE slot wit the card in place ....hope tis solves the problem...

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I uninstalled it via Device Manager, I 've done this several times but it constantly carries on detecting it...even when there is no card in the slot at all!

As I said in my original message, the only option on Bios to set video is 'Auto'...in other words the system should pick it up.

Thanks.

You need to "disable" not "uninstall" it in the device manager.

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

I have tried that, I've disabled it and restarted but it's still detecting it.

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I have now put my old card back in. What would be the appropiate steps to now take to ensure I install my new card correctly?

Sounds like you`ve not uninstalled the drivers correctly.
Check `Add/Remove programs` from the control centre; look for and uninstall any graphics drivers found there, Nvidia, ATI and drivers for the integrated graphics.
Run driversweeper in Safe Mode to clear out the residue and reboot. Install the drivers for your card. Hopefully that`ll kill it.

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Ok, just tried all that step by step but the PC is still saying that my old card is in (when it's not).

The worrying thing is that even on the Bios it saying that there are no cards in the PCI slots.

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Judging my the fact and my old graphics card stopped outputting and this one won't detect...does that mean my motherboard may be buggered?

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Gpuz states it's my old card.

However, it appears that my old 'card' is infact intergrated into my C521....so that makes sense.

Still though, it's not detecting my new card in the PCI-E slot.

My PSU is 260v....I was told that would be ok, could this be the problem though?

Could be that its the motherboard thats at fault, i have a suspicion that whatever is stopping the onboard outputing is connected to the PCI-E slot and thats dead as well.

What does everyone else think to that idea ?
Mactronix

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
you need to UNINSTALL the DRIVERS via ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS. You cannot uninstall via Device Manager. All you are doing is REMOVING the device which would install itself again next time you reboot. UNINSTALL all Nvidia drivers from ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, SHUTDOWN, take out the old card, put in the new one, connect to monitor, and reboot. Cancel any/all AUTO install drivers for the card, and then install new drivers.
If the only option in the BIOS is AUTO... this should work..

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

I have done that, before I inserted the new card I uninstall all drivers from Add/Remove, put in the new one and installed the new drivers. Still nothing.

Despite that, shouldn't Bios recognise there is a card in the slot anyway? Currently it doesn't.

ricey

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Unfortunatley I don't have an option to disable it on BIOS, only option is Auto.